No strings attatched

Authors notes: trigger warning for this chapter, mentions of death and drug abuse

Kenny's POV:
I drag myself out of the house and into my car. "Can't drive in this state". Get real. What's the worst that could happen? I'll die? What a welcome surprise that would be. There's no one on the streets at this time of night so it's not like I'm endangering anyone else either. I rev the engine. Ever since I found out I was immortal, nothing hits the same. I get my kicks where I can. There's a sweet spot between life and death, where the adrenaline is better than any drug. But I'll keep taking them just to be sure.
I'm driving 70mph and only getting faster. I'm getting near home, debating wether I should do another lap of the neighbourhood-
Just then I screech on the brakes. There's a girl walking on the side of the road...
"Karen" I shout, pulling up next to her and rolling the window down. "What the hell are you doing?! It's 3am!"
"I got out of bed to get some water and you weren't there. I couldn't sleep. I was worried..."
I sigh. I wasn't even close to hitting her but I'm spooked all the same.
"Come on. Let's get inside, I'll make us some hot chocolate."
The concerned look leaves her face.

My phone buzzes as we're walking through the door:

I had fun tonight, call me -S

Ugh. Just what I need, another clingy bitch. I thought sleeping with Shelly would be fun, or at least the danger and knowing I was pissing off Stan would give me some kind of gratification. It was disappointing to say the least.

We sit in the kitchen, my orange mittens wrapped around the warmth of the mug.
"I miss mom" Karen says, sadly.
"I know. Me too."
Our mom died 2 years ago from an overdose. I did the same drugs, over and over, wanting to know how she felt in those final minutes, wanting to suffer like I deserved for not being able to stop her. But without the desperation of knowing you're at the end, you feel nothing.
"I don't want you to die too" she whispers. She's way too mature for a 14 year old.
"You don't have to worry about that, I'm not going anywhere" I say honestly, my heart breaking. It's not a lie.
"I hate it when I come home and you're not here. Dad gets angry if I talk about mom. I wish we could live together, just us. Don't leave like Kevin did" she pleads, fighting back tears.
I didn't know she felt this way.
Kevin skipped state the minute he turned 18. I don't blame him. If it wasn't for Karen I'd have done the same.
I don't know what a normal level of pain is but this feeling could kill someone for sure.
"I'll try and make that happen, promise." I say gently.
She smiles. "And you'll go to school more? Try and graduate?" She knows she's hit a chink in my armour and is milking it.
"Anything for you" I say, rolling my eyes. She comes over and hugs me and I ruffle her hair.
I tuck her into bed then fall into mine.
One day I'll watch her go too and it makes me sick to my stomach. This is why I can't get attached. Watching the person you love die is the worst thing imaginable.
I've been shot in the head before and that honestly hurt less.