The lake

Y/N's POV:
I walk to college the next day, a mixture of annoyed and worried. Kyle didn't respond all night. I gave him my virginity and he can't even text back I joke to myself. He's definitely got a good explanation. He's so reasonable and kind that it's almost impossible to be mad at him. Just then the phone rings and it's him. See? He wouldn't leave you in the lurch like that.
I answer excitedly
"Hey" I smile, twisting my hair around my finger and trying to sound cool and breezy.
"Hey, Y/N. Um I don't know how to say this. I need to talk to you. It's nothing to worry about. I didn't wanna text "we need to talk" because I thought it would panic you, those texts always panic me" he rambles anxiously, laughing lightly.
"Right..." I say, slightly confused. "You're not breaking up with me are you?" I joke, expecting a laugh and maybe a compliment.
Silence.
"Does Tweek bros coffee shop at 4pm work for you?" He asks quietly
"Kyle...? No seriously you're stressing me out now. I can skip class, tell me what's wrong"
"I can't do this over the phone" he decides.
"You can and you will. If it's nothing to worry about and no big deal then why not just come out with it? You are breaking up with me aren't you?!" I demand.

More silence.

"Oh my god I can't believe you. It's only been like 2 days, what is your problem? It was the sex wasn't it? You think I'm bad at it. Well you weren't exactly-"

"Y/N. Please. I'm really sorry and I promise none of this is your fault. Just meet me at four. Please" I can hear the pleading in his voice, he sounds tired.

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't" I shrug, hanging up.

I burst into tears as soon as the call ends. I don't want him to know he had that kind of hold on me. He can't be the one dumping me. I wasn't even fully sold on him. But he was meant to be the safe bet. He was meant to be stable and reliable and be there for me and-
I arrive at college and try and wipe my eyes feverishly with my sleeve but the tears won't stop.
I'm aiming for the bathroom but people are starting to look so I slip down the side of the building to sob instead.
"Oh fuck, just what I need" I say, crying harder at the sight of Kenny, also round the side of the building, joint in his hand and alarmed look on his face.
"What'd I do?" He jokes, putting his hands up in submission.
I sniffle in response.
"Want a toke?" He asks, offering the joint. I sniffle again and nod, taking it. I've never smoked before in my life but now seems as good a time as any. I take a drag and pass it back. I've stopped crying, instead putting all my energy into trying not to choke in front of the hottest boy in the school. He sees me hiccup and laughs. He flicks the rest of the spliff onto the floor and stamps it out.
"Wanna ditch and go for a drive? Always cheers me up" he says. I think about my regret over not taking up his offer last time and agree without thinking it through. Maybe he'll take me out to the woods and murder me.
I'd probably thank him.
We get in his car and my eyes prickle again
"Why are you being so nice to me?" I ask, mascara running down my face. He just shrugs.
"There's tissues in the glove box" he states, starting the engine and turning on his stereo. System of a down starts playing which I'm secretly grateful for. It's almost impossible to cry to. If it had been Coldplay or something I wouldn't have stood a chance. I fish around the glove box for the tissues then notice they're amongst several issues of playboy. I recoil in horror, deciding to just opt for my sleeve. I lean my head against the window and feel the bumps of the road. He turns the stereo down a bit.
"Wanna talk about it?" He asks, indifferent. It's for my sake not his, he frankly doesn't care.
"It's Kyle." I manage before breaking down again. Saying his name is simply too much.
"Kyle Broflovski?" He asks, interest suddenly piqued.
I nod, not able to speak through the tears.
"Well come on, it can't be that bad. You gonna tell me he's got a crush on me or something? I can't help it I'm just-" he starts to joke, then instantly regrets it. "Woah, don't look so horrified, I was trying to make you laugh" he adds quickly, seeing my reaction. I still can't manage anything other than a strangled cry.
"Oh. Oh I get it." He says, joining up the dots.
"Wait you guys are a thing?!" He can't hide the surprise from his voice which just makes me feel even more stupid.
"Were" I manage between sniffles
"And you...dumped him?" He asks, still confused.
"He dumped me. This morning." I mutter.
"Huh. How bout that. I always thought he was the smart one..."
I almost smile. Not even emotional wrecks are immune to his charm.

We pull up near a lake. I look to him for context but he just silently gets out. I follow suit.
He picks up some stones and starts skimming them. I just stand and watch.
"Not the best place to bring a girl in hysterics, I might pull an Ophelia" I joke, English student in me coming out. I think I see him smile, still pelting pebbles across the surface.
"Why the lake?" I ask, curious.
"Dunno. It's my sisters favourite place, thought it might work on all chicks" he reasons.
"How sentimental" I tease.

After a while we start walking back towards the car.
"Kyle wants to meet me at 4 to give his excuses. Do you think I should go?" I ask thoughtfully
"Why are you asking me?" He asks, brushing it off.
I suddenly feel stupid. He's right, this is my mess. My cheeks flame. He always sounds cool, unbothered and slightly bored. I can't tell if this apathy is endearing or irritating. It definitely makes my problems feel insignificant. I remind myself to ring Wendy later, who will act like this is the most interesting and dramatic thing that has happened all year.
He senses he was a bit too harsh.
"I just meant cus I suck at this advice stuff. For what it's worth you were too good for him anyway" he says casually, lighting up a cigarette. We lean against his car, him smoking, me taking in the scenery.
"Oh yeah?" I ask, pushing my luck.
"If you're fishing for compliments you've come to the wrong place" he says, unsympathetic.
"A lake is the wrong place for fishing?" I tease, edging closer to him.
He rolls his eyes.
"That was so lame"
"I know" I reply, deep in thought. His careless attitude is rubbing off on me. Today will already be remembered as a sucky day, why not get rejected twice?
"So, would you?" I ask boldly
"Would I what?" He asks, finishing his cigarette and tossing it.
"Fuck me"
He turns to look at me, raising an eyebrow.
"Right here, right now in the backseat of your car" I continue, voice cool but legs like jelly.
He gets up in my face, so close I can smell the smoke on his breath
"I wouldn't just fuck you, I'd absolutely ruin you. I'd make you beg for it on your knees and wouldn't stop until you were a sobbing whimpering mess" he whispers, nonchalant as ever.
I go to take a step towards him but he puts his hand out.
"One guy has already made you cry today, I'm not about to be the second" he laughs, getting into the car and leaving me stood there, reconsidering every life choice I've ever made.
"You coming?" He asks, snapping me out of it. I silently slide into the passengers seat. We don't talk for the journey back. He drums on his steering wheel to the red hot chili peppers and I gaze out the window, head spinning, processing what just happened.
We arrive back at college and I gather my thoughts and step out.
"Hear Kyle out. He's not a bad guy" he says decidedly. I nod. "See ya round" he calls, walking towards the entrance of the building. I give a limp wave then start off in the opposite direction, mind still reeling.