Chapter 39

"This is my fiancé, Juliana Hart," Jared announced as we entered the conference room.

He placed his hand on the side of my waist as he ushered me into the room.

The press standing in the back of the room took our pictures as Jared seated me at the front of the table next to an older couple.

"I'll be back," he whispered and left.

There were about 30 people in the room and most of them were high executives who were close acquaintances of the Cunning family.

I had to be on my best behavior today so everyone would believe our relationship.

I was awkwardly sitting there and watching everyone mingle when the couple beside me introduced themselves to me.

"I'm Stanley Hursh and this is my wife Ellen, " the older man said as he stuck out his hand for me to shake. "I am the CEO of Hursh Cosmetics. I'm actually an old friend of your fathers."

I shook his hand and greeted his wife properly. His wife merely nodded and didn't look at my face.

"Nice to meet you both. I'm glad you knew my father."

Stanley cleared his throat and nodded his head. "Yes, your father was a great businessman. However, after I heard about his current situation, I'm quite appalled at his actions. I stopped talking to him years ago after I heard about the embezzlement case."

What do I say to that?

I bit my lip and ran a hand through my hair.

"Yeah, my father has made a lot of mistakes in the past and-"

He rudely cut me off  and slammed his hands on the table.

"Your father should have owned up to his mistakes instead of running away. Do you know how much his mistakes cost my company. Isn't that why he's marrying you off to Jared? So he can leech off of the Cunnings like he did to me?"

Just as I was about to answer, a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"Mr. Hursh, please don't misunderstand. I was the one who wanted to marry Julia," said Jared, a smile on his face as he looked down at me. "Her father has nothing  to do with our relationship."

Was that a fake smile?

Real smile?

I really couldn't tell anymore.

His eyes however didn't match his words. He held a serious demeanor as he looked between me and Mr. Hursh.

Mr. Hursh cleared his throat again and averted Jared's gaze.

"I apologize Jared. I misunderstood your relationship."

"It's fine. I'm glad we cleared this up," he replied, taking a seat beside me. "If you hear any ridiculous rumors about us, I hope you'll set the record straight."

"Of course," Mr. Hursh mumbled as he took a sip of water.

This was super awkward because I was seated between both of them and no one was saying anything.

"Lunch is being served," the waiter announced as plates came around the table.

"Do you want something to drink?" Jared whispered in my ear.

He face was too close for comfort.

I cleared my throat and nodded my head. "Iced tea if there is any."

He got up and left to get drinks.

"Juliana, so nice to see you here."

That voice!