Chapter 16

We were currently in the car, driving towards one of the hotels owned by the Cunning family. It was past midnight as we drove farther into the city. 

So many questions were running through my head at the moment. A woman named Beth lived in the mansion and she escaped with a gun. She was Jared and Liza's mother. 

How come they never introduced her to me?

And then a thought occurred. Our schools Headmaster was supposedly Jared's uncle and he mentioned that his sister named Amelia was Jared's mother. Two different women. None of the details about their mother was adding up. Liza was always hesitant and Jared clearly hated talking about her. 

Curiosity getting the best of me, I threw all rational thought out the window and broke the impending silence. 

"Can I ask a personal question?"

He gave me a frown. "No."

I knew he would say that.

I turned to look at him, focusing all my attention on his driving form. "I'm going to ask anyways."

I heard him huff and clench his jaw but I continued anyway.

"None of the details about your mother make sense. One minute her name is Amelia and the next minute her name is Beth. Which is it?"

He gave me a sideways glance and then sighed. "Do you really want to know that bad?"

I merely just nodded my head and prodded for him to explain. 

"This is a family secret which no one knows about except me, Liza, my father, his lawyer, and now you."

"Family secret?" I raised an eyebrow.

He turned to look at me. "Yes, promise me you won't tell anyone. Not even that friend of yours named Tim."

He was serious, I don't think I've ever seen him this serious. 

I nodded my head. "Yes, I promise."

He signed again. "Amelia is my father's wife. Everyone knows her because she's a famous fashion designer in Paris. She is the woman that raised me and Liza."

"Then how come I've never met her. Why don't I know of her? Why don't my parents ever mention her?" I asked confused, surprised at this new information.

"It's kind of complicated. Kind of like you and me, their marriage was arranged under a contract. They're not allowed to get divorced so they live separate lives. She makes public appearances with my father at big events but other than that, she lives in Paris and my father lives here. Your parents probably didn't mention her because they know she's irrelevant to you and that her presence here won't make a difference to our engagement."

"Oh. I see. Well then who is Beth? Is that just another name you guys call Amelia?"

He dropped his shoulders and wrinkled his nose. "No. Beth is our birth mother-"

"What?!" I yelled, cutting his short. "How-?"

"Yes, my father had an affair with a woman named Beth two years into his marriage with Amelia."

Woah!

"My father hated Amelia and couldn't take his marriage anymore. So he went and had an affair with Beth. And the shocking part is that Beth was still in high school at the time."

"Highschool!" I exclaimed in shock.

"Yeah. Then she got pregnant and decided to keep the baby."