Chapter 1

Five minutes till the bell rings...

Four minutes...

Three minutes...

"Earth to Julia. Hello? Are you even listening to us?" said Serra, waving her hands in front of  my face.

"Uh sorry guys," I huffed, shifting my eyes rapidly from the clock on the wall to the two teens sitting across from me. 

"Where's your mind at?" said Tim, playfully tapping my head with an innocent smile plastered on his face.

"Cut it out Timothy," I yelped, lightly smacking his arm. 

"You're no fun Juliana!" Tim said as he held his arm in annoyance while Serra laughed at our silly banter.

"Don't call me that," I muttered as I went back to staring at the clock.

Two Minutes...

"Seriously Julia, what's up with you today?" Serra asked, tapping my desk with her black pen. "You seem spaced out."

Turning back to the two, I gave them a frown and started placing my books in my bags.

"Okay listen up. You two are my best friends so I trust you with this information."

"What information? What's going on?" Tim interjected, raising one of his eyebrows.

"Gosh, let her talk," Serra said, rolling her eyes at him.

He stuck out his tongue but nodded at me to continue.

"Okay so remember around four years ago, I told you guys that I was engaged to someone since I was like five. It was like this business arrangement my father made with his childhood best friend."

"Yes, yes, that's why you can't date. We already know this story" Tim said, already bored at the direction of the conversation. 

"Shut up Tim. I'm not finished," I said, throwing an eraser at him. "Anyways, I'm so spaced out because my parents are finally going to tell me who the guy is today. I've been waiting for the bell to ring all day so I could go home and end this mess."

Serra and Tim gave me a dumbfounded look at my statement.

"Wait, I thought you already knew who he was?" Serra asked confused.

"No, my parents never told me. All I know is that he's smart, rich, and a good choice for me, according to my mother."

"And you went along with it like an idiot?" Tim asked, holding in a laugh.

"Oh for gods sake Tim, of course I didn't. I plan to go home and convince them to pull the whole thing off. You both know I don't want this. I never wanted it and I've been trying to ignore and act like the whole thing doesn't exist, but my mother has been reminding me every chance she gets," I huffed in frustration.

The bell rang as soon as I finished. I grabbed my bag and paced out the room.

"Wait Julia, be a little rational. What if they say no and make you be with this guy?" Tim asked, catching up with my fast pace.

"Yeah, and you said engaged since you were five? What if they guy is ugly and poor now?" Serra asked, pacing on my other side.

"Serra, my parents would never marry me off to a poor guy. And I doubt they'll say no Tim. I know in my heart my parents want what makes me happy. If I politely ask, they'll pull the whole thing off," I said, turning the hallway, passing an unusually crowded hall filled with girls. 

"You sound really sure to me," Tim said skeptically. 

"Don't worry Tim. I'm absolutely sure," I said, smiling to myself at my unknown confidence.