duljae

"Well... You know, Chaeyoung, she... Well, she... Uhm, she kind of..."

"Kind of what? Spit it out Che or I swear I'll find a way to strangle you through the phone." I threw at her through gritted teeth. This fumbling and stuttering were making my nerves tense up like a bowstring. It gave me a very unpleasant feeling.

"She got... Married?" Cheshir spoke in a low voice, almost like a whisper.

"Cheshir-ah, are you asking me or telling me?"

"Telling you. Of course, I'm telling you!"

"Then why say it in a questioning tone?"

"Well, I was afraid of you blowing your top at me."

"It's not too late for that to happen, you know. But why would I get mad at you? Send her my congratulations."

Certainly, I may not like human relations too much and prefer to keep my distance, but I can understand how others might want to be together with someone else. Therefore, for a bright and beautiful woman like Chaeyoung to get married must be a joyous occasion.

"Then, you're not angry?" Cheshir asked with an obvious tone of relief. "Aaaah, I'm so relieved. I was sure you'd chew me out like a dog biting on a bone."

"Hey! Who are you calling a dog?! Though, you kind of look like a bone, white skinned and scrawny."

Why am I being so chatty with her this morning? Even spewing up nonsense like this. Something must be wrong with me. I should hang up soon and get back to sleep or else I won't be able to rest until late into the night. A moment later, I heard Cheshir's cheery voice sounding from the other side of the phone.

"Then let me tell you about the new editor who's going to take care of you from now on."

"Eh?" I blinked quietly before the information got assimilated by my tired brain. "Haaaah?!" I finally screeched like a mad banshee.

What did she just say?! New editor?! What's going on here?

"Che, perhaps I might have heard you wrong. Did you just say new editor?"

"Well yes, of course. Since Chaeyoung has gotten married she will be quitting her job. Apparently, her husband is a rich businessman and his company is located in a different city. So, she'll be moving there with him. Quitting the company is only logical in this situation."

"Logical?! There is nothing logical about it! What about me?!" I yelled, panic starting to swell inside my chest. I had barely gotten used to Chaeyoung's visits. Having to get used to someone else and so suddenly too... Impossible.

"There is nothing to worry about, Lisa-yah. We have already chosen a new editor for you. It's a new person, young and high-spirited. I heard she transferred here recently and everyone has been praising her for her professionalism."

"I don't care about her professionalism or that she is young and high-spirited!" I snapped. "In fact, I don't like high-spirited people! I don't like people, period!"

"Now now, stop being so childish, Lisa-yah. Your stories all have such beautiful people in them. How can you say you hate people but at the same time create such amazing ones on paper?"

"What does that have to do with anything?! I can write whatever I want and still hate real-life ones." I huffed, more out of spite than anything.

I already knew that throwing a tantrum was futile. If the publishing company had already decided on a replacement for Chaeyoung then there was nothing for me to do than to accept. They have already shown me enough goodwill by having the Chief editor personally call me. And besides, whatever I might say, I would still need an editor to work with for my next book.