setjae

It's been two months now and I still can't hear Jisoo's thoughts. I have started to get used to her random visits as well. Like the other day, for example.

It was Friday evening and I had just finished writing a particularly difficult part of the story, when the doorbell rang. When I opened the door, I was greeted with a plastic bag dangling in front of my eyes.

"What's this?" I asked, knowing perfectly well whose face was hiding behind the bag.

"It's beer and chikin. I thought we could hang out and have a little chat." Jisoo replied, shifting the bag out of the way and revealing a wide smile.

"Go away. I'm busy." I said, about to shut the door in her face. But Jisoo was quicker than me and managed to slip through the crack and enter the apartment.

"Don't be like that." She said while placing the bag on the kitchen counter. "It's Friday evening. It's the perfect time for friends to have a drink and just talk."

"Who's your friend here? I don't see anyone." I snarled, leaning against the door, which was now rendered useless. It appeared that it couldn't keep away a slippery person like Jisoo.

"You may brandish your sharp tongue at me, but I know that you are really a nice girl." She said, obviously ignoring my annoyed expression.

She turned her head and gave me one of her dazzling smiles. Even the corners of her eyes crinkled. At this point, there was nothing I could do. She was already inside and simply throwing her out didn't seem possible. There was only one thing to be done, take a deep breath and try to relax. Besides, I couldn't hear any weird thoughts from her so there was nothing much to worry about.

Without sparing a single moment, Jisoo took my kitchen as her own. She placed the snacks in bowls, grabbed the bag with the beer cans and brought everything into the living room.

"Oh, before we start drinking, I have to ask." Jisoo said, stopping before she opened her beer. "Have you had dinner yet? If not, you should probably eat something. Drinking on an empty stomach is unwise."

"I already ate." I replied simply, taking a sit across from her at the short table.

"Really? Did you eat instant noodles again?" She questioned with a slight frown between her eyebrows.

"I had takeout. Gamjatang and ramyeon." I replied, picking up a can of beer and opening it.

"Oh, that sounds like a hearty meal. I'm glad."

"Why do you care so much whether I eat food or not? It's not like you owe me anything." I asked, feeling half curious and half confused. Really, what was inside this person's head, caring so much about a stranger.

"Of course, I care!" She yelped. "You are our most prized author, so it's only natural to take good care of you. Besides, if anything happened to you, Cheshir would have my head on a spike."

"You're exaggerating."

"Actually, I am not." She said, opening her beer and taking a big gulp. Then, she looked up and continued to speak calmly. "Before I first came to see you, Cheshir told me to take good care of you. She also said that after Chaeyoung left you will find it difficult to adjust to someone new."

"That meddlesome person." I grumbled, taking a big gulp of beer. What was Cheshir thinking, telling this person all this stuff.

"Perhaps, but that just means because she care about you."

I didn't answer and she didn't push for a reply either.

After that, we spent several minutes, quietly sipping our beers. If I had to be honest, I would probably say that it strangely felt comfortable. Sitting at a table with Jisoo, drinking beer and simply chatting like this... it wasn't so bad, I guess.