Guilt

Dabi's POV:

The thought if us making a mistake when the culprits was this obvious was something that I couldn't imagine. It was clear as day and night that the girl was the one that killed our son but what my chicken said wasn't wrong too.

We never actually tested the feather. Our own anger and sadness made us immediately believe what we saw.

Shit!

Chicken is right!

We never tested the feather!

Damn it!

That should have been the first thing that we should have done!

How could we be so stupid!

It was because of this that that that I was walking out of a room leaving my husband behind. Even though I saw the tape, there were so many questions open that we just ignored. I knew back then right after we did that to her right when the bad feeling started that something was wrong but it didn't seem like it.

Without any stops I went straight back to our home where we had the feather in a box with our little sons' stuff. I took it out and went to the next laboratory.

It was rather unusual for a hero to come here but I couldn't wait for the results so I went in and straight to the next person.

Me: Hey you!

Guy: How may I help you?

Me: I got a feather from a case. It's important and I need the results right now!

He looked perplexed. Naturally, everyone would look at me like that. No hero would come inside skipping the reception and going straight to the first person I found other than the one in front for the customers.

Guy: Excuse me-

Me: You fucking find out if that is an animal feather or one from someone's quick, RIGHT NOW!

I pushed the feather right into his free hand and creating some small fire in my other hand.

Did I threaten the person right now?

Yes, yes I did!

Did I care?

No!

We had a kid in a hospital because of something we both did. The pure thought that we made a huge mistake was something I just couldn't and didn't wanted to have true. Thought as ridiculous as it sounds I was still in denial. However, with each step and each act I did the ignorance I had was breaking and the more I was left in that uncertainty the more my bad feeling grew.

Me: You waiting for a fucking invitation or something?

Guy: No sir! Sorry Sir! I'll be going to work immediately.

Time skip brought to you by a scared cat playing with some black feathers.

It took the guy only 15 minutes to return back but in these 15 minutes I felt very bad. Guilt was eating me away. By now I accepted the truth and knew that my gut was telling me something I ignored for way too long.

Guy: Sir, the results are out.

Me: And?

Guy: The feather is a normal raven feather. There was no indication that it is from a person's quirk. In fact, that is out of the question.

The more I heard his words the paler I got.

Shit!

Goddamn it!

We... We destroyed a life!

She was innocent all along!

Guy: Sir is there anything else you need from me?

Me: No.

I turned around taking the feather that is now in a bag with me and went straight to the hospital. Knowing what I knew made it all the more difficult to face the girl but that was something me and Hawks needed to do.

It wasn't for long only around 2 hours after I left my husband, I returned back to him.

Hawks: And?

He didn't greet me. Instead all he said was a question. That was something I loved on my husband. He knew me all too well and he could think too. Hawks wasn't dumb and it was quite obvious where I went too.

Me: She is innocent.

Hawks: My god, Dabi! We-

Me: I know.

Hawks: She nearly died,

Me: I know...

Hawks: So, what do we do now?

Me: Find the re culprit.

Hawks: That's out of the question! But what do we do with her? We can't just leave her be! It's all our fault!

Me: Let's adopt her.

Hawks: What if she doesn't accept us? You saw how she ran away.

Me: But we can't just leave her on her own took.

Hawks: I know but is this really a good idea?

Me: Let's give her space and watch over her for now.

Hawks: She won't forgive us that easy. You know, that right?

Me: I know... But it's still better if we are close to her and help her out.

Hawks: I understand but I fear that she will hate us even more.

Me: Still better than her ending up dead because of us! We can make this right.

Hawks: No Dabs! We can't! Do you know what it means for a bird to get robbed of its wings? We basically broke her spirit!

Me: But you can help her out! We can help her get back up.

Hawks: How?

Me: She still has a quirk, remember?

Hawks: The ravens?

Me: Yes. Let's train her and give her the chance of being a hero back.

Hawks:... Ahm Dabs, there is a problem with that.

Me: What fucking problem?

Hawks: She despises heroes thanks to us.

Me:... Shit!

Hawks: For now, let's adopt her and fill out the paper so she can have better treatment.

Me: Let's do that.