Prologue

Everea's POV

9 years ago

"Everea." My mother said my name gently. "Go in." 

"Okay, mama." I said weakly in my 5 year old voice.

I walked slowly into the house and saw a boy maybe 2 years older than me and stopped dead in the overhead of the door frame.

"It's alright sweetie. He's a vampire hunter now as well." My mom waved me over gently.

I slowly crept out to the living room and sat next to my mother while Zero sat on the other couch with his parents.

I remembered when we used to play in the garden, how he would tousle my hair, and we would play tag, or hide and seek. Ichiru also came to play, but he had to go inside because of being sick after only an hour. We used to be so close, but then we left when I was four... and we grew distant over that time.

"Um... hello, again." I bowed my head slightly and he bowed back not saying anything.

"I'll go make some tea and get some snacks." His mom goes to the kitchen with my mother.

"So... Zero?" I asked shyly.

He gave me a warning look and then turned away from me and to the window instead.

His father judged him and said something I couldn't hear.

We sat in silence until his and my mom came back and gave us snacks. Although, Zero didn't touch them. He just sat there looking out the window.

I was nibbling on my cookie when he stood up abruptly and took my hand dragging me to the top of the stairs.

I heard my parents shouting to each other about something, but I couldn't make out what.

"Wh-What's wrong, Zero?" I tried to take my hand back, but he was much stronger than I. 

"Hide here. Don't move." He shoved me into a closet.

"But-!" I tried to run out of the closet, but he shoved me back in.

"Stay here!" He somewhat growled at me and stupidly I obeyed.

Hiding in the closet I heard muffled yelling and then heard my mothers scream.

M-Mommy...? Why did she scream?!

I heard another two screams. One sounded like Zero's mother and the other his father.

I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't move. It was like I was paralyzed.

I heard muffled talking.

"Does it hurt? Your parents killed too many of my beloved brethren." Then I tuned everything out trying to forget what was happening.

I'm just dreaming... I'll wake up any second... and be home with mommy...

After awhile I heard cop sirens and after a few more minutes I heard someone coming towards the closet.

I cowered in fear, hiding behind the coats.

The closet door opened and a man yelled out, "Hey! There's another kid in here!" 

I darted out of the closet and down the stairs. I saw Zero on the ground, all bloody, and froze for a moment. "Z-Zero!" I yelled his name, but he didn't respond so I assumed he was dead.

Some of the cops surrounded me and I panicked.

I screamed, "No! Don't touch me!"

One of the cops was a female and she tried to grab my arm, but I darted to the side, right into a man with blond hair and hazel eyes with glasses.