Chapter One

Present Day-Everea's POV

I finally arrive at Cross Academy in the fall. Just barely making it for registration.

The headmaster gives me a call to his office and tells me, "I know you are currently 13, but since your birthday is in a week I will make acceptance to your attending the school."

I am internally jumping up and down squealing like a little girl, but externally I just nod, bow my head and say thank you.

I walk out of the headmaster's office. He looked really familiar... and his name sounded very familiar as well...

I continue to walk down the hall heading towards my room in the day classes dorm, but...

I end up bumping into someone while thinking and I fall straight on my ass.

"Watch it!" I yell.

I look up to see who it was and I automatically recognize who it is. Those violet eyes, and white/silver hair.

"Zero...?" I look into his eyes in disbelief. "I... thought you were dead..."

He looks down at me and then his face contorts into a face of recognition, "Everea...?"

"Y-Yeah... it's me..." I stand up and brush myself off, staring into his eyes.

He looks at me in disbelief and takes my hand, I'm assuming to make sure I'm real.

He quickly scans the surrounding area and then pulls me into a shadowy alcove.

"You shouldn't be here, Everea..." he grips my arm tightly.

"Why?" I tilt my head still in shock that he's alive. I'm honestly surprised he remembers me...

"It's not safe here. Especially for us hunters." He scans the area again.

"How do you know I'm still a hunter?" I ask.

He nods to my thigh. "Because of your gun."

I curse lightly. "Well, then why are you here? Especially if it's not safe for hunters?" I shake his grip off and hold his hand.

He looks at me and then sighs and dishevels his hair, "I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but you will find out eventually on your own... You can't tell any of the day class students. Got it?"

I nod, "What is it, Zero?"

"The night class is full of... vampires..." he looks around making sure no one hears him.

"V-Vampires...?" I feel my eyes widen and my pulse quicken.

"Yeah." he nods.

"How?!" I hiss at him gripping his arm tightly. "Does the headmaster know?!"

"Yes. He knows because he's the one who invited them to study here." He whispers.

"What?!" I practically shriek.

"Keep your voice down!" he whispers yells at me. "There's something else you should know..."

"...What?" I sense a whole new kind of blow coming.

"Headmaster Cross... he's the one who got us out of that place after that vampire attacked us," he whispers.

"He's... the one who... took us out of that bloodbath...?" I shiver at the memory. "But, why would he invite those beasts here?"

"He has some stupid pacifist hope that humans and vampires will one day co-exist." Zero looks around again.

I feel my anger bubble, "How could he? After all the people the vampires have killed over the last few centuries?"