Chapter Seven

As Everea trudged the grounds of the campus, her mind screaming with questions, a pain so blinding that she felt like she would collapse, she didn't even hear the person approaching her from a few feet away. It was no other than the man who had been with Headmaster Cross when she was pulled out of class. Yagari...? That was his name, wasn't it? Swallowing what little saliva she had in her mouth, she only looked up at him by the sixth time he had called out to her, approaching her swiftly.

Before she could utter a word, her legs gave out beneath her. She'd never felt so weak and helpless before. Not even when she was a kid and her and Zero's parents had been attacked by that pureblood. Why hadn't she been attacked that night? What happened to the vampire who had killed them and turned Zero? Was there any justice, or end to this madness? Her ears rang as she heard muddled words being spoken to her; was he asking her something? She couldn't make out was he was saying, all she heard was garbles between the intense ringing in her ears.

Feeling a hand come around her arm, she jerked away, blood splattering her hands as she let out a gasp and stumbled back. She really was losing her mind. Seeing the face of the man she knew as Yagari staring down at her in shock, he narrowed his eyes before grabbing her arm again, helping her to her feet. It was unnerving to Everea. Everything was happening so fast, and it was all wrong. To her surprise, Zero and Headmaster Cross were both waiting for them as they entered the sun dormitory; Why were they there? Was she in even more trouble? Were they about to hand her over to the night class? Kick her out?

Swallowing the growing doubts in her mind, she straightened her spine, shaking the hand on her arm off, and turned down the hallway towards her dorm, ignoring the questioning stares that followed after her. With every step, she couldn't stop wondering what was true and what was false. Maybe the vampire was right? But then that meant her whole life had been a lie. That everything she'd gone through was just nothing. On the other hand, if he really was pulling her strings, just toying with her, she was still herself. 

Slamming her dorm door behind her, she leaned against it, changing into her nightwear and throwing the shirt and skirt Kuran had obviously changed her into in the trash. Shuddering, she sat on the edge of her bed, running her hands down her face. It's all just a big dream. A nightmare. I'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be back to normal. Sighing, the redhead managed to get under her covers, squeezing her eyes shut before she ended up with another blood-covered room in her eyes. 

⊱—————— ✧——————⊰

When morning came around, Everea stretched, shutting her alarm clock off. To her dismay, a white uniform was laid out on her small coffee table with a small note on top of it. Feeling sick to her stomach, she quickly shoved the uniform and note into a drawer, rushing to the bathroom and showering. A hot shower always helped relax her, but when she opened her eyes to wash her hair, all she saw was blood. Blood coating her body, the white walls, her hair. A scream left her lips as she stared at it all. Why? She didn't understand. 

Hearing the door to her dorm room burst open, her water-filled vision darted to the bathroom door, her hands quickly shutting the shower off and grabbing a towel to wrap around herself. Just as she was stepping out of the shower, her hands shaking, Zero came charging in, gun drawn. Surprised to see him there, Everea soaked from head to toe in water, she could only stare. Why had he been by her dorm anyways? Finally noticing the blood was gone, she let out a shaky breath.

"Why did you scream?" The concern in his voice was palpable, and Everea couldn't help but give him a strained smile, shaking her head and waving a hand that wasn't holding her towel up.

"It was nothing... really. I slipped and hurt my arm, that's all." Despite the lie, she didn't feel guilty about it. He didn't need to know. He really didn't. Nobody did. When he didn't leave she shooed him away and gave a hollow laugh, "I said I'm fine, really. Now let me get dressed you perv!" With a joking tone, he finally relented and left her to get dressed for the day, Everea grateful to be alone again.