Chapter 7

It took several moments to process all the information being thrown in my direction. Firstly, and most importantly, she was not with Shae, which meant she was free to fall in love with me, with two conditions. One, she might be with someone else. Two, there was no way I would ever be on her preferred list of dating options. I mean, come on, Shae. She must have dated her at some stage. Why have her as your screensaver? My screensaver was a kaleidoscope of blue butterflies, because it looked nice. If you're into someone, other than butterflies, it was obvious you would have them as your screensaver. Right?

The ring. Not linked to Shae. Also, good news. Belonging to her mother. Weird she would wear it on that finger. Perhaps being in the UK, away from her, it was a keepsake and a reminder of someone she loved.

Chrissy's emergence from the bedroom in only her briefs had both of us staring. "Oh fuck, sorry Nicole. Back in a mo." She returned wearing slightly more clothing. "That was such a good night. Tell Fi the story."

Nicole looked between us. "Fi?"

"We pretended to be Shrek and Fiona at school," Chrissy qualified.

"Why?"

"Because, it was funny," Chrissy added. "Waves is pretty, and I'm me."

"But, you're both pretty. What am I missing?"

"Ever seen Waves in the morning," Chrissy replied. "Not pretty."

It was my turn to launch something in Chrissy's direction. A lolly stick, which missed its target completely.

"I'd better go," Nicole announced. "Either of you heading to the beach?"

I raised my hand. Who does that beyond their school days?

It took one Cornetto and a shower for Chrissy to be ready for us to spend the rest of the day soaking up the rays. Knowing we were going home brought on an urgency to cram in as much sunbathing as we could. My girls were now exposed to the sun for the first time during our stay, making sure to apply enough high-factor lotion to keep them from burning. The last thing I wanted was to have to revisit Preveza's hospital with toasted tits.

Chrissy texted Nicole to tell her where we were on the beach. I wasn't privileged to her number, not yet, Chrissy presumably having swapped it while I was incapacitated. She rocked up shortly after two, a lounger hired for her between us, Wynonna doing an extra shift at the bar, saying she would meet us later. As she placed her bag down, as she untied her sarong, I noticed Chrissy looking at her too. Who wouldn't?

My eyes closed as she began removing her top. Suddenly, I felt like every guy who had ever ogled a woman's assets, and wondered what they might feel like in their hands. My eyes remained closed until I felt a hand on my arm. "Would you?"

Nicole offered me a bottle of suntan lotion to apply to her back. Hawaiian Tropic. Why Lord? Tell me why I'm tormented in this way? Next to coconut body wash, the smell of that particular lotion was divine. The bottle in one hand, a sufficient amount squeezed onto the other, I took in the aroma, waiting for Nicole to position herself so I could apply the clear liquid oozing through my fingers. Yes, her back was perfect, apart from a small white mark on her lower left side. A scar perhaps. The rest was toned, and tanned, and beyond tempting.

As I applied the liquid I could feel the muscles under her skin responding to my touch. The hairs on her arms had risen and a small smile had formed as her head lay to one side. Extracting more lotion, placing the bottle down, I took my time to apply enough so she wouldn't burn. The smell, the sensation, the sounds coming from the lapping of the sea had me begging the Universe for us to be alone in this moment. Three words escaped my lips. "Is that enough?"