Chapter 27

Wynonna stared at me in disbelief. "You do not get to tell me who I can, and cannot work for."

"She's trouble. Remember the partner who nearly cost me my job."

I could see Wynonna trying to remember what I'd said. "You mean. Oh, oh fuck. Not the one who..."

"Yep, the one who had her hand up my dress. The one who wanted to book a cosy hotel room to discuss mentoring me."

"Fuck, fuck, fuck. Why didn't you say?"

"Don't put this on me. You never said you were being interviewed by Slaughters."

"I wouldn't have if you had told me."

"Well, I've told you now. Just like you didn't bother telling me about Harry Potter."

"Ouch, but fair. If only you'd said."

"If only you'd said."

"Well, you should have said it first."

"Well, you should have..." I stopped, then burst out laughing.

"I'll call in sick," Wynonna said. "Or, just tell them I can't take the job."

"It's Slaughters. You have to take it. Your name will be all round the other law firms if you don't start tomorrow."

"In that case, should I wear my best underwear?" she suggested.

"Might help. Hey, I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"And, I'm sorry I said what I said about your mum. That was completely out of order." She moved nearer, holding out her arms, hoping I would accept her. "Friends," pulling me into her.

"Friends."

"Get a room," a stranger grumbled as they pushed past.

Mike was still up when we entered, Wynonna and I hugging again, he asking if we'd had a good evening. I left them in the lounge, less stressed than earlier, wanting to spend some time chatting with Waverly. She was still up, looking exhausted. "How was the function?"

"Interesting."

"Did Wynonna behave herself?"

"Yes."

"Which means she didn't. What did she do?"

"Well, the venue turned out to be smaller than I thought."

"Wish I'd been there."

"How much do you know about Harry Potter?"

"A bit, why?"

"Enough to answer clues on a themed treasure hunt around London."

"But, I thought you were going to a hotel."

"Oh, we were. We did."

"Trust Wyn. I miss you."

"And, I miss you. You need to get some rest. It's late. How's the studies?"

"I might need you to go over some of this with me when you're here next."

"Can I see you Friday?"

"Definitely. Oh crap, no. I promised to meet some friends. I can cancel."

"No, it's okay. I'll see you Saturday."

"Oh sweetie, now I feel bad. Why don't you join us? We're going for a meal."

"I don't want to ruin your evening."

"You won't. It'll be great."

"Are you sure you want me there?"