Chapter 31

Shae's ring was beautiful, and very expensive. "Wow. Congratulations."

"Have you set a date?" Shae said.

"Not yet. Waves has to finish Oxford first. There's no rush."

Wynonna had wandered off to say hi to Shae's brother, Shae glancing over to make sure she wasn't in hearing range. "Nicky, I'm glad for you. How is everything?"

"Good. I'm glad for you too."

She smiled, placing a hand on my arm. "She's a lucky girl."

"I'm the lucky one. When's your wedding?"

"Next month. The 23rd. Ruth wanted the whole spring wedding thing. I'm sorry, I should have told you sooner."

"It's okay. I understand. Really."

She remained silent for a moment, unsure what to say next. "Look, will you come? You and Waverly. It'll only be a few of us."

"I...We'd love to." Her face registered my hesitation. "Are you sure you want-"

"An ex-girlfriend at my wedding. You're still a friend. You always will be."

"I'm sorry."

"Nicky, I understand. Really I do. We've both moved on. We're who we're meant to be with. But, you will always be a part of my life, and my heart."

I gazed into those beautiful eyes once more. "I wasn't in a good place."

"I know, Vivian's death took its toll. But, we're stronger for it. My love, let that big heart of yours be seen. Oh Lordy, Wynnie's snogging my brother. Bloody typical. Back in a mo."

Shae hurried off to extract our mutual friend from the lips of her brother. The naughty twins, as I call them, returned a few minutes later laughing. "I need to make a call," Shae said. "Can I leave Wynnie with you?"

We watched as Shae headed for the door. "He's far too good looking to be single," Wynonna observed. "I'm hoping he'll be in London for a while to, you know, carry on what we started in Greece."

"You didn't. What am I saying? Of course you did."

Wynonna winked. "Best way to forget someone."

I looked away momentarily, knowing I had to say something, not sure where to begin. "About that."

Wynonna still had her attention on Shae's brother. "He's got this amazing tattoo on his-"

"I've seen..."

"How?"

"In Oxford."

"What are you talking about?" Wynonna said. "How could you possibly have seen his tattoo in Oxford? Unless that's gay code for-"

"Not the tattoo. I saw John. He's teaching Waves."

Her attention was now fixed on me. "Crap, I need to tell her."

"He's offered her private lessons."

The colour drained from her cheeks. "What?"

"I'm sorry, she had to know. She would have taken him up on the offer otherwise."

"Lessons. He's offering my sister lessons. That bastard."

"He hasn't changed. Well, a little. He's got a mustache now. Looks fucking stupid."

"Wait till I see him. I'll rip his balls off. He's got a nerve trying it on with my sister. Private lessons. That's how it starts."

"She's promised not to go anywhere with him."