Chapter 39

Nicole had to thump me on my back as I choked on my champagne. I managed to cough out one word. "What?"

"Depending on when we sell it, we could get more."

My hands were shaking, staring at her. "You...me the key. How much?"

"Thirty five. Forty if we hit the market at the right time."

I was lost for words. Nicole had literally handed me the key to a property worth more than what the entire Wallop estate was worth probably. And, you know the crazy thing, she didn't seem to think it unusual. Like owning a house worth that amount was an everyday thing. And then, an even crazier thought crossed my mind. If she could hand over the key to a house like that, how much money did she have?

Her mom must have been financially secure before she died, presumably leaving much of it to Nicole. It had never occurred to me. Seriously, not once. I mean Nicole didn't brag about money, or flaunt it, or rub it in anyone's nose, so how was I to know she was loaded. As in loaded, loaded. More minted than a Trebor extra strong peppermint. What we Brits would call stinking rich.

One thing about being an aristocrat, we definitely were not as loaded, or minted as Nicole. My parents had had to struggle with crippling debts, and leaking roofs, and begging letters to banks to keep Wallop going, Mops doing her best to attract paying guests, while at the same time running her legal consultancy to bring in a few extra funds. Pops even had several jobs over the years to help out. And, here we were in a shabby greenhouse, which had seen better days, discussing the potential to raise thirty five million dollars through the sale of a house Nicole had casually signed over to me.

"I don't know what to say."

"So, here's the plan. With the money from the house we set you up in business. If your parents agree, we could open a restaurant here."

"No!"

"What? But, I thought that's what you wanted."

"I do. I did. Only, I think the little girl was trying to tell me something."

"Okay."

"Oh God, don't give me that look. I think I need to establish the business away from Wallop."

"Where?"

"I'm not sure. London first I think. Then Los Angeles. I don't know, places where society will buy into my ideas. I want to write a series of cook books, linked to lifestyle. And, establish my own catering school. I have an idea for a brand which I think the world is ready for. Iconic and fearless."

She smiled, holding up her glass. "You will. And, I'll be there every step of the way."

I kept the information from my family. This day was Wynonna and John's, plus I needed time to process everything. It's not every day someone literally gifts you that amount of money. I mean, we're not in fairytale land. Knowing there were funds available to realise my dreams was surreal, but also freaking scary. This was grown up land, the land where I could seriously fuck up, squander Nicole's legacy, having nothing to show for it at the end.

And, right on cue, that pesky little girl showed up in my dreams that night, forcing me to eat more chocolate ice cream. I would need a therapist at this rate just to work out what my subconscious was trying to tell me.

The weeks ticked by, thoughts around how to grow the business discussed with Nicole and Mike, if he was at the apartment. I'd found a premises which I believed might work as a launch venue for our first restaurant, the whole idea taking on a weight I wasn't sure I could carry. Nicole could see I was pushing myself again, struggling with all the aspects of starting up on my own, my headaches returning.