chapter twenty one; tension not eased

aimee monet

we were all seated in the locker room getting ready for the game and when i mean we, i mean everyone but me. i wasn't playing this game because of my "attitude".

"aren't you supposed to be getting ready?" adam asked.

"i'm not playing remember? coach said so" i shrugged, "even if he asks me to play, i'm not going to until he says i was right"

"fine" he huffed. the game was soon to start so the team and i began walking out to the rink. they started to warm up on the ice as i sat on the bench, by myself waiting for coach to turn up. surprisingly he wasn't on the bench already and there was little time left. a whistle was blown signalling the game was going to start so the team started to come back to the bench.

"where's coach?" charlie asked.

"you tell me. i've been trying find him since we got out" i say looking around.

"you guys cant play without a coach" the ref skated up to us and reminded.

"thank you for stating the obvious" i reply.

"ms mckay!" charlie yelled making her turn her head, "you need to pretend to be our coach" we all looked at eachother confused, and ms mckay looked stunned.

"i don't know anything about hockey" she replied as the ref skated up to them.

"coach, or we don't play" she thought for a moment before stepping into the bench.

"what are we waiting for? ice to freeze? lets play!" she yelled as the team got into position, "and why aren't you in your gear?" she turned to me.

"coach said i'm not allowed to play" she nodded in response.

"well i'm going to need some help coaching these guys so think you can help?" she asked. i smiled and nodded.

-

the ducks have been playing well so far in the game without any distractions. surprisingly, we haven't missed a shot. i was seated next to ms mckay who pulled another line change which brought players in and out of our box. averman sat down next to me, followed by guy who sat a little further from us.

"how's the game?" i asked.

"it's okay. you know i think i can even score a point this game" the red head responded.

"yeah i'm sure" i sarcastically said.

"you know, i think our friend next to me needs some words of encouragement from you." he subtly hinted towards guy to which i rolled my eyes.

"no. absolutely not. he can get some words from the girl back at the hotel." i rolled my eyes.

"mhm," he sighed, "one day you'll forgive him. i know that because you're going to realise that you're so in love with him and your going to think about getting married and having family, one named averman, and.."

"averman." i groaned and rolled my eyes.

"all right point is, you two are going to be just fine." he stated.

little did she know, guy was getting fidgety in his seat. hearing her and averman quietly talking fueled fire inside. the fact he wasn't able to talk to her upsetted him. he roughly dropped his sticks which caused the two to turn their heads at the intense boy.

we awkwardly sat and watched the game. guy was acting up but i didn't want to get involved.

"i feel like my parents just divorced but with you two" averman said, a little to loudly, not helping ease the tension. guy and i both shot a look at him which caused him to throw his hands up.

"we were never dating to begin with anyways" i whispered to him. he sent an apologetic smile and swung his arm around me.

"lets bet. goldberg is going save the next shot" he started.

"i bet he isn't" i joked.

"geez aimes, where's your support today" we watched as the german player sped towards our zone, prepping for his shot. his stick swung and to our surprise, goldberg did in fact miss the shot causing germany to have a point.

"you owe me" i sung to him. he took his arm off and rolled his eyes.

"don't miss me too much" he said as he jumped over the boards to get on the ice. that left me with guy by my side. there was a space in between us from where averman was which was soon to be filled by charlie. just lovely.

"they're tough to play i will say" charlie said before taking a swig of his water.

"looks like it" i responded while guy remained quiet. i took a glance and he was unreadable. as if something was on his mind. ms mckay had called another line change which caused guy to go back into the ice.

"i'm sorry for the other night. you know with the dare? i didn't mean for you and guy and to be upset with eachother and it's all my fault. i ruined your relationship because i was being selfish and bored. i shouldn't have done that and i'm so so sorry" he explained. i turned to look at him and for once, it looked sincere.

"you should be sorry. you know how close i was to actually dating him. for once charlie i thought i was going to have a good relationship but that all went away" a bit of my heart sunk as the words rolled of my tongue.

"i know! and im so sorry! you have every right to be mad at me. i was selfish and didn't think how it would've ruined everything. it pains to think how i ruined something special between you two and possibly made it awkward between the team. that's my fault and i am owning up to it." he rambled on about the situation and made sure to say "sorry" at least in every sentence.

"alright i get it. your sorry," i interrupted, "i'm glad you finally apologised. but doesn't mean i can trust you straight away. i'm still pissed off" he understood and continued to watch the game but was quickly interrupted by a loud, obnoxious duck sound. we all turned our heads to see bombay quacking away at us.

"what is he doing?" charlie asked. i shrugged my shoulders as the quacking noise continued, making his way down to us.

"and look who decides to show up now..."

guess who's back bitches 😝

idk if i'll actually continue this but i saw that i had this chapter and decided to quickly finish this off but idk if any of you guys actually want this finished cause lowkey i had planned a sequel story to this which i started writing before i had even finished this story so lols.

but let me know if you want this continued and maybe i'll slowly start updating again.

just realised this was unedited and fixed my mistakes lolsss.

love you lots x