Merriell "Snafu" Shelton II.

After four long years, he was finally coming home

After four long years, he was finally coming home. My boyfriend Merriell had left to fight for the Marines in the Pacific war against Japan. These past four years were the worst four years of my life, praying for Merriell to survive, nonstop feelings of loneliness, not getting to feel Merriells arms around me while I sleep, it was a living hell. Until just a couple minutes ago, I get a phone call from the General. He made it through, Merriell was finally gonna be home.

I wipe some tears from my eyes after crying tears of joy, I then walk into the kitchen to immediately start cooking up Merriells favorite food, my mothers homemade Gumbo. I couldn't help but let out a couple tears again, fortunately none of the tears landed into the food. While the vegetables boiled, I walk into the bathroom.

I look at myself in the mirror as I was wiping away my tears, then I look down and I see a frame on the sink. It was a picture of Merriell and I at a local Cajun Restaurant. This was a photo of our first day out together, we had a local man take it for us. I grab ahold of the photo, bringing it close to my chest and I begin to cry once more, "Thank you god... Thank you for giving my Merriell the protection he needed during this war."

After drying my tears and setting the picture back where it was, then washing off my face a bit, I walk back into the kitchen. I get some crawfish and shrimps from the freezer and I put them into the pot where the vegetables were. I then get my mothers secret seasoning from the kitchen counter and I sprinkle some into the pot. I grab two more seasonings, sprinkle them in, then I grab a lid and I put it onto the pot.

As I was grabbing potatoes from the pantry, I suddenly heard a knock on the door. I froze and my heart dropped. Merriel?! I tried calming down, then I walked over to the door. I unlocked the door, and I held the doorknob. My heart begun to race at the speed of sound. I opened the door,

" Hey Y/N! ", I was disappointed when I saw that it was indeed my close friend, and neighbor Krystina.

I let out a cold sigh, " Hey Krys.. " I said rather shallowly.

" What's wrong Y/N/N?? You seem blue all of a sudden.. " She says, I step aside to let her in and she steps inside my home.

" Nothing, I just... I thought you were Merriell... " I say, sitting on the sofa and looking down.

" Oh... ", I feel Krystina sit next to me. " I bet it must be hard... Have you heard anything from him. " She asks as she turns to look at me.

I smiled a little bit, " Yeah... He's coming home Krys.. He's finally coming home. ", I could feel myself tearing up all over again, meanwhile Krystina's eyes lit up.