Chapter 5

Jessica's POV

Over breakfast Katia told me and Oak how Peeta the guy from 12 announced his undying love for Katniss Everdeen "The Girl on Fire" now they were known as star-crossed lovers. Though I won't deny it was sweet but I need to be focused for today because it would be our last chance to impress sponsors.

The next thing I knew I was lined up for the private sessions it was where we could impress sponsors with our scores and know which of the tributes where too dangerous to mess with. I sat down waiting for my turn Glimmer the girl from 1 was up first.

"Hey Jess" I looked up to see Cato with Clove behind his back then they sat next to me.

"Nervous?" Clove asked

"No... What are you guys gonna do to impress them?" I asked

"You know the usual stab a few dummies and try to rip it's heads off" Cato said which made the three if us laugh

" Well guess I'm up next" Clove said

As soon as Clve was gone there was a few moments of silence

"Jess, will you join the careers?" Cato asked me

"Look Cato I don't think I would as of now" I said

"But why won't you? You're a career like Clove and me" He said trying to argue with me

"Cato.. I ended being a career once I stepped on district 7 grounds'' I said

"Jessica I knew you trained even when you were on 7 you can't fool me I can see you have sacars that you didn't have when you were on the academy" he said. It was true I trained even in district 7 but I just want to try and make it out of the games with my skill and not because of the Careers, I know it is a dumb move but I need to prove something to myself.

Cato met my eyes and he knew I wouldn't change my mind "Fine Jess but promise me when you need help just shout for my name and I'll be there promise?" He asked

"Promise but Cato take Oak in the Careers please" I said then started seeing Clove come out I know Cato was having a mental arguement in his head but when he saw Clove he went in but before he entered the door he turned his head to me and nodded signalling that he agrees which made me smile.

"How'd it go?" I asked Clove as she passed by

"I nailled it Jess" was all she said then left

I waited for my turn and it was District 6 as of now I was up next I saw Oak with fear in his eyes.

"Oak you'll be okay" I said

"No I won't I'll just die Jess unlike you. You have a chance to survive unlike me." he said

"Oak listen to me" I satrted and he met my eyes "I asked Cato to put you in the careers... I won't be there so just trust Cato he won't let anyone hurt you" I said he was surprised at first then said "Thank you Jess, but why won't you be there?"

"It's complicated Oak" Then I heard my name being called "just stay strong and you'll do great" I said then walked in

Once I was inside I stood at the starting line. I was gonna do a routine I learned from the Academy it was were you need to dodge knives while still being able to hit targets. Cato once told me I was still holding the title for the fastest time to finish without a single scratch. I had Benita set it up to me, she was starting to be my best friend now I saw her at the corner and nodded which shows her I was ready.

Suddenly knives where flying everywhere I started doing tumblings and backflips, there were three targets for me to hit so I grabbed my first knife from my boot while I was in the air and once I landed I threw it. Then I grabbed another knife and started to jump then threw it when I was near the second target then I grabbed my third and final knife and while I was doing a backflip I threw it.

Once I was done I gasp for air and saw I hit all the targets dead middle. I looked at the gamemakers and saw they were pleased.

Later our eyes were glued on the tv Johanna, Blight, Katia and Oak was there we were all sitting at the couch nervously waiting for our scores.

The first person was Glimmer and she got a 9 the next was Marvel who also got a 9 Cato and Clove both got a 10. Then Oak's picture was on the screen he got a 9 which was great he obviously used his axe skills, th a picyure of me appeared and then followed my score of an 11 almost everyone was up on their feet cheering while I was still seated on the couch trying to process everything. I got an 11 Cato and Clove must be so proud of me. Later while everyone was still cheering I still watched the tv and saw Katniss also got an 11 and I swear I could almost hear their cheers from here I was happy for her yet scared that this girl was also a threat.

Tomorrow is the day where it will all start where tributes like me would try and kill each other, honestly it was a sick action and if I had the chance I wouldn't kill anyone but if I have to kill to protect myself I would because if I die Cato would too and I could never live with myself if I knew I was the reason he would die.