Chapter 9

Jessica's POV

"You are a disgrace to our family name" a voice said. I looked around and saw I was back at my home in District 2. 

"You should've died when Glimmer tried to kill you" the voice said again. 

"You don't know anything!" I shouted back 

"Please, you're just another weak link in the Careers. They will all die and it's because of you!" The voice shouted and then a figure formed in front of me and I was shocked to see it was my dad.

"You are not worthy to be where you are and you will be the reason of Cato dies" he said 

"No I won't" I said coldly 

"Jessica, if you die I promise that I'll see you in hell" my dad said and then laughed evily. Suddenly the scene started changing and I was back at the arena but I wasn't happy with what I saw. There wer bodies around me I quickly recognised it to be Clove and Oak.

"Oak! Clove!" I shouted as I ran to them. I checked their pulses and there was none. Clove had a knife to her heart and her eyes were open, while Oak had a spear at his stomach. The sight itself was horrible and tears started to flow down my cheeks.

"Isn't it Jessica, finally decided to visit your friends" A voice said and I whipped my head around to see Glimmer holding a spear. 

"You killed them?" I asked angrily 

"Why, of course" she said 

"But you're dead" I said 

"Please, I can still kill. Not physically, but maybe mentally" she said then started to sprint towards me. I frantically run to avoid her, I tried to find a weapon but didn't find one. Then Cato came running towards me but instead of helping me with Glimmer, I felt pain in my stomach. When I looked down I saw that Cato had stabbed me with his sword at my stomach. 

"Jess! Jess! Jessica!" a voice said who was also shaking me. I bolted up and now sat upright in my sleeping bag. I took in my surroundings amd saw I was still at the Cornucopia but there wasn't anyone there aside from me and Oak, who was the one trying to wake me up.

"What happened?" I asked my voice hoarse 

"You were thrashing in your sleep. Let me guess nightmare?" He asked and I nodded 

"Want to talk about it?" He asked 

"I'd rather not. Where are the others? and What time is it?" I asked 

"A little around noon as for the others they saw Katniss, they are just waiting her out. She climbed a tree to try and get away. Clove came by a few minutes ago, taking a bow and arrow with her saying they'll try to shoot her" he explained 

"Why didn't they wake me?" I asked 

"They said that you needed the rest" he replied 

"And they left you to guard me?" I asked jokingly 

"First of all I can use this spear you know? And second I wasn't the one sleeping til' noon" he replied 

"Hey!" I playfully smacked his shoulder "I'm more lethal than you, you know?" I said stating the truth.

The rest of the afternoon we spent joking around and eating. There wasn't any cannons yet so that means nobody died yet, but I was getting worried when it was starting to get dark.

"Do you think they're safe?" I asked 

"They're the Careers, Jessica. Nobody would mess with them, well aside from you" he said 

"Let's go to sleep I'll take first watch" I said 

"Wake me up whne it's around midnight" he said then he laid down the sleeping bag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was around morning now. I woke up early and started to cook breakfast for me and Oak. I was getting kind of worried for Cato, Clove, Marvel and Peeta since they weren't here yet.

"Come on Oak eat up" I said. I cooked some kind of soup with the meat and water we had and maybe I added a few herbs. I thought that maybe a hot meal in the morning might help our systems. 

"It's yummy, Jess. Where'd you learn ho to cook?" he asked 

"My mom taught me" I said 

"Your real mom or you adoptive mom?" he asked 

"Adoptive" I said then we started hearing screams from the distance

"What was that?" Oak asked 

"I don't know" I said then started to grab my knife. The screams were getting closer and I was gripping my knife tighter and tighter. When all of a sudden Clove emerged from the plants followed by Marvel then Cato. They all fell to the ground trying to breathe for air. I quickly ran to Cato.

"What happened?" I asked him 

"Tra- Tracker Jac-kers" he said out of breath. Tracker Jackers were insects that had a high amount of poison, they could easily kill a person with many stings but if they are only a few they can cause illusions. 

"Oak watch them. I'm gonna go and get them something to heal it with" I said 

"Are they gonna be alright?" he asked 

"Just watch them" I said while readying my vest of knives and my backpack incase I'll need something. 

"Be safe" Oak said running up to hug me 

"Always am" I responded and then I disappeared into the forest. I remembered learning about a plant in the training center that was supposed to cure Tracker Jacker stings. Knowing the tributes the only person to know where the plant is would be Rue.

It's been a few minutes since I've started to look for Rue, so far no luck. I've looked high in the trees and down below but that kid sure knows how to hide. Inwas about to turn back around because I haven't found her but then I saw a wiff of her hair.

"Rue?" I asked then heard a gasp 

"Come on, you can come out. I won't hurt you" I said. Then she slowly started peeking 

"I know that you know how to treat Tracker Jacker stings, so could you help me?" I asked 

"I can't. I'm also treating someone else" she said then motioned behind her and I saw Katniss her arms and neck wrapped around in leaves. 

"But here" she said then handed me leaves "They should be enough for them" 

"Thank you" I said "be safe"

I started to walk back to the Cornucopia. When I reached it, it was just the same as how I left it. 

"How are they?" I asked 

"Not good. I think they're having nightmares" he said 

"Not just nightmares Oak, illusions" I said "Here, put these on Marvels stings" I told him while handing him the leaves

I started to work with Clove with her stings on her head and arms. 

"You're gonna be alright Clove" I said after I finished 

Then I started to do Cato's wounds unlike Clove he was more clingy and he kept moving. He's stings were at his arms and a few at his neck. 

"Cato stay still" I complained while trying to apply the leaves at his neck. He seemed to obeyed and he remained still.

"There all done, you'll be good by tomorrow morning" I said then started to stood up but was stopped by Cato when he put his hands around my wrists

"Please stay" He begged me. Since I couldn't bear how Cato was badly hurt and considering the fact that he rarely begs I decided to lie down with him

"You'll be fine Cato. I'm just here next to you" I said. Then he wrapped me in a strong yet loving hug