Chapter 7

Jessica's POV

I started to flutter my eyes open and readjusted my vision. I saw nothing but trees and wondered why was I- right I was at the arena now. I quickly untied the rope at my bag and then stuffed the rope inside, I quickly grabbed a canister of the dried fruit and then opened it up to grab a handful of berries. I quickly put it back, I as trying tosave the food I have knowing it won't last me weeks so I guess I should go look for food.

I went to the lake that I saw before and layed low for a while. Once I was sure there was no one there, I quickly refilled my two bottles. I went exploring the forest trying to find the next place I would camp at but looks like today was the day that I had no luck. Then, suddenly I heard a snap I quickly grabbed a knife already in a position ready to strike.

Then I heard another snap and I whipped my head to where it was, I couldn't see anyone so I went behind a tree waiting for the person to come. Then I saw the person's shadow beside the tree once I knew he or she was closed enough I whipped and had the knife already against the person's kneck only to see the one and only Katniss Everdeen.

"Oh it's just you" I said breathing a sign of relief while lowering my knife down. I noticed she didn't have a weapon and was just holding a branch but she was starting to lower it to the ground.

"Aren't you going to attack?" She asked confused

"Katniss, am I glad to see you!" I asked and she nodded

"I'll ask my question again, why aren't you killing me right now?" She asked

"One question first, are you afraid of me?" I asked and she nodded slowly

"Just because I was from District 2 before it doesn't mean that I am a killing machine there are some people who have a good side too." I continued to say.

" Sorry, but I was afraid you'll have a personality change once we were in the Games" She stated.

"And why is that" I asked

"One you are a girl who can be dangerous with knives and two you're like a close friend of the two tributes from 2" She said.

"Don't worry I won't bite, Katniss I think it's best to say goodbye but you know I couldn't hurt you, your a really close to Peeta and I owe him for being my friend" I said

"Yeah, I prefer to work alone and thanks it kind of makes me feel safe that not every tribute are out to kill me" she said.

We started to walk in the opposite direction, she was only a few inches away from me when I grabbed her wrist I think she was really expecting me to try and kill her cause she jumped a little.

I quickly let her go and grabbed a knife from my bag and handed it to her.

"Here for your protection" I said

"I can't take this" She politely declined. "Why not?" I asked and she remained quiet. "Look, I know how it feels like to have a little sister to wait for you to come home, I know how it feels like amd I'm sure that if I let you die, knowing I could've saved you if I've given you a weapon, I would've never forgiven myself and maybe your sister would kill me too" I said while holding up a little smile at the last one.

"Thank you" was all she said and we started to walk away.

"Jessica!" I heard Katniss shout and I turned around "Be careful" she said and I nodded.

Then I started to walk again who would've thought I could make a friend in just a small amount of time. In all honesty, I see a lot of myself in her the determination, strength and sometimes stuborness. Yes, I admit I am stuborn ever since I was uh.... born I guess.

I them started to see a silver arrow and in missed me only by a couple of inches. I was about to grab my knife but I was tackled to the ground by non other than Glimmer. I swear this girl is getting on my last nerve. I noticed that she had an arrow pointed at my neck. I started to yell and tried to get her off by kicking her, but for a girl whose small she sure was heavy. It was either that or she had a firm grip.

"I can finally get rid of you" She said "Why?" I asked

"You stole the spotlight that was meant for me if they weren't talking about 12 they would either be talking about you and you've got the two most dangerous tributes wrapped around your finger might as well get rid of the competition right?" She said

Then I started to push her off me and I finally stood up and ran. While I was running I got my knife out.

"You're not getting away that easily" Glimmer shouted running after me.

I couldn't throw my knife at her since she was behind me but then I remembered something which I promised I would only do as my last resort.

"Cato! Cato! Cato! " I shouted loudly and heard his faint scream of my names throughout the forest.

Suddenly I tripped because of a tree root. I couldn't believe it being taken down by a root then Glimmer caught up with me I was almost up crawling on the forest floor desprately trying to get away from her and I was trying to grab my knife which I let go when I tripped.

Then I felt a sudden pain at my lower leg which I responded to with a scream I looked down only to see Glimmer holding her arrow which was stabbed at my right leg. She pushed the arrow deeper and I screamed.

"Why can't you just die" She shouted.

I reached out for my knofe which was a few inches away from me. I grabbed it and quickly stabbed her arm which didn't do much damage but she let go of the arrow and I oulled it out quickly which I winced in pain too. Glimmer grabbed the knife at her arm and was ready to attack me yet again and I just closed my eyes wanting all of it to go away.

I was ready to feel pain but when I opened my eyes I only saw Glimmer with wode eyes and when I looked at her closely she had a sword through her stomach and then she fell to the ground. I heard a cannon signalling that Glimmer was definitely dead then I saw the person behind her and it was the only person I wanted to see.

"Jess, you alright" He asked

"Y-yeah I'm good" I said. He eyed me and saw my leg

"Did she do that" He asked while pointing at my leg.

"Yeah, I didn't put much of a fight did I?" I asked disappointed in myself

"Hey it's alright now come on let's go back to camp and treat your wound" He said and then started to put his arms below me and I eyed him skeptically.

"What we need to go to camp quickly and with your wound we'll be slowed down so do you want me to carry you or not?" He asked

"Fine" I muttered in defeat amd I just knew he was smirking.

He carried me bridal style and I wanted to stay like this forever. I just want a whole day maybe even only an hour just me and him, i just want to say to him the things that I wanted to say since we were separated. Well, I guess it would be nice to be with him and the careers at least I knew I was in safe hands now.