3: A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Murphy’s Law; Epigram; Life sucks.

Palm resting on the scalding roof of your little car, you tenuously ignored the burn as you turned to watch the guards retreat back inside of the air conditioned building without a backwards glance. The hybrid they so carelessly tossed into your backseat, forgotten.

You seethed, red filling your vision as you chewed your cuticle. The only thing that helped to keep your calm up to that point had been Taehyung’s feral, but pleading eyes; the depths of anguish motivating you to get him home as soon as possible, blurring away the stewing anger until it was only the two of you.

Once alone, you hesitantly glanced back to check on the tiger's unconscious form. Long, dark eyelashes brushed against light caramel skin just above the swell of where the muzzle dug in, pushing his cheeks up under his eyes.

Eyes welling up with fury, you clenched your fists into tight discolored balls, your nails digging grooves into your skin as your mind raced. You wanted to hurt something, cry, throw a fit. But most of all, you wanted to tear K.E.Y apart. If this was how they treated their hybrids publicly.. You didn’t even want to think of what they did behind closed doors.

‘We’re going to end this,’ you swore to yourself, teeth clenching. ‘No matter what.’

Your phone blared with a whistle, dragging you from your thoughts. Checking your messages, you found a text from Milly, announcing that she had to go back to work, but promised she’d call when she was home. With a new wave of frustration, you quickly typed up your response before shoving the phone back into your pocket with a little more force than you supposed was necessary.

Hoping you wouldn’t have to worry about him developing heat stroke, you gingerly pushed his legs and tail into a safer spot before shutting the door. Locking the car with your key fob, you stormed across the smoldering parking lot.

The looks on everyone’s faces as you shoved through the doors ranged from startled to confusion. Jimin, who had been leaning over the counter, arms tucked under his ribs while he talked to the blushing secretary with a flirtatious smile, caught wind of your mood shift, his smiling face faltering as he took in your undoubtedly red face and stiff demeanor. His brows pulled together, slowly leaning back from the unnecessary closeness he had with Amy, and rested both palms flat on the wooden surface, searching your face for what happened outside with Taehyung.

Amy, who had clearly been eating up the entire situation with your arctic fox, pouted when his attention tore from her while Seokjin, who stood to Jimin's side and had also been engaging in conversation with the two of them, stopped to watch your approach; face full of concern.

"Y/n?" Namjoon spoke with caution, seeming to be the only one brave enough to approach you in your infuriated state.

You blinked, taking in everyone’s upset faces as they all watched you warily. Giving your best, reassuring smile, you held up your hands, anger fizzling out before being replaced with embarrassed shame. Especially as Jungkook began shaking, nervously fidgeting his hands and nose.

'Good job, Y/n, great way to make them feel safe and secure.' You kicked yourself, lowering your hands.

"Did he—" Namjoon paused, shutting his jaw so tightly you could visibly see the muscles clench under the strain.

"What? Oh no!” You gasped, astonished he could think Taehyung had been the cause of your upset mood. Given the state he was in, it was a wonder what kind of strength he was known to have for Namjoon to come to that conclusion despite the bindings. “No, he’s passed out.” You reiterated quickly.