8: Window Shopping Means Nothing to Unaccustomed Hybrid

Previously in Chapter 7:

(( “Alright that’s enough, we’re done here. It’s time to go. You’re scaring the kids,” you griped, grabbing Taehyung's leash as the spitting tiger tried to climb back over the booth after the last couple bites of meat. Everyone scurried out around you as you grabbed leash after leash in a rush to leave. You felt like you couldn’t leave fast enough.

“So.. What was all that?” You tried to sound as commanding as possible as you started the car, mimicking your father’s scolding tone.

Hoseok scoffed behind you, followed by Yoongi’s deadpanned tone. “You picked up a food aggressive tiger and a lion with a stick up his ass, what do you think?”

“Is that normal? What was eating like back at the facility?” You could already sense the prickling tension of a fight about to break out, so you blurted the first thing that came to mind, instantly biting your lip in regret. “I mean.. Food aggression comes from a fear around food, right?” There was no sugar-coating that question you realized.

“We had set feeding times and were given the recommended diet, whatever that is..” Jimin mused carefully, his voice more hesitant than you’ve ever heard it. “Meat and stuff, you know. So we don’t really feel anxious about food..”

Everyone seemed to glance at Tae then, but whether the tiger was aware of the attention on him, you couldn’t tell as his eyes had closed.

“I’ve heard stories,” Seokjin added solemnly. “About the cages.”

“That’s what we called the basement levels,” Jimin cut in.

The mall was bustling, quite opposite to the scene you had hoped to arrive at; people shuffling in herds from one store to another, enjoying the company of friends or dates.

The moment you stepped into the food court, various smells from the vendors attacked you from all sides while the sounds of voices all talking at once assaulted your ears. Picking up your pace so the boys wouldn’t get distracted, you nearly fell as a leash snapped your wrist back.

"Shit, I'm so sorry, Jungkook. I should have thought this through. Maybe I should have let you stay with Milly so you wouldn't have to be around so many hybrids."

He frowned, pushing his face back into his knees before his hands moved from his ears, through his hair, and finally down to his shoulders. "I-I'm sorry. Give me a second, I want to shop.." ))

_________

Rambunctious;

/ramˈbəNG(k)SHəs/

adjective:

"noisy and out of control," like a rambunctious child who is so hard to handle that no babysitter has ever come back a second time.

When Jungkook still didn’t move despite his efforts, you questioned if the statement was true. Would he be okay? It was a possibility you were going to have to take him to Milly’s instead of forcing him to accompany the group, a probability you deeply considered as you watched his Adam's apple bob with nerves. 

That is, until the motion of Jimin jumping back a step broke your thoughts, the fox easily sidestepping out of the way as someone brushed passed in a charge while the others stirred on edge. You couldn’t see who it was until Jungkook was suddenly dragged up onto his feet by the back collar of his shirt, making him stumble and cry out while your own hands reached forward to interrupt the exchange.