28 Spy

Not everything in the heart can be said, so God created sigh, tears, long sleep, cold smile, and shivering of hands.

Nizar Qabbani

Him

"What's the status?"

"Slaughtered, my Ameer."

He runs his finger through the mane of the horse as a small, freezing smile graces his lips. "Did they say something?"

"No matter the torture they're put through, they won't open their mouths."

"Resilient, aren't they?" He pats the back of the horse before moving to the next one. "Every soldier that is to be appointed in Baghdad, I want a report on each."

"As you say, my Ameer."

"Keep me informed of each move made by every official. Those you even doubt the slightest who can betray us, follow them. Find each one of the traitors; their heads will be under my axe."

"And about the generals?"

He looks out to the horses in the stalls, all of them standing tall and strong, well kept in preparation for any calamity that may befall.

"Send me their names. I'll see who stays on their positions and who are to be discharged."

Her

Her

"Nights here pass by in sleeplessness. Days keep me restless. This place in all its glitters and glory must still be hell."

Hafez silently listens to her complaints and sighs of distress as she watches the midday sun shine brilliant in the sky.

"You've got no gossip to distract me?" she asks whilst keeping her sight fixed to the sky, the sun nearly blinding her but she follows the clouds around stubbornly.

"What could I possibly know of your interest, sayidati?"

Noura smirks to herself. "Anything. Maybe about Al Shafay, the queen, your general." She pulls her gaze away from the sky to him. "Or the general's friend."

"The general's friend?" Hafez blinks in puzzlement. "Who do you mean, sayidati?"

"Hadi."

"Al Hadi?"

She hums satisfactorily. "The one."

Hafez looks down, shifting on his feet uneasily. "I told you, sayidati, I'm not allowed to speak of him."

"I'm just curious, Hafez." She walks to the other end of the balcony overlooking the garden; Hafez follows after her. "When I asked Annas, he lied to me about him. When I had asked Eskander, he told me he was a friend-- a merchant."