29 Fathom

He needed her and she needed him. That was how most disasters began.

Leigh Bardugo

Him

"Khalid isn't only the Khalifa, he's my brother too."

"I know."

"Then you must also know that who the throne belongs to after him."

"Habibti, I know what you're trying to say. But enough with these futile efforts."

He watches his parents argue from the hiding. His mother looks furious and his father heedless to the matter.

"You can't be rebelling against my brother. He will forget that you're my husband and get your head for the treason."

"I'm not rebelling against anyone. All I'm saying is that your nephew is still a young, naive boy to be a Khalifa. And you know health of caliph Khalid is declining day by day. In the given circumstances someone more capable should rule over the kingdom-- take hold of the deteriorating situation."

"You mean you."

"And what's wrong with that? When Yusuf comes of age, he can claim the caliphate then."

"Listen to me, Marwan," his mother hisses, seething in rage. "If you decide to be a traitor, then fine. But I won't stay with you anymore. I'll take my son with me and leave. I cannot let him bear the stain of your deeds."

"Halah," he grasps her wrist, "your son is my son too. He's not going anywhere, neither are you."

She roughly tugs her arm free of his hold. "We will see, my love."

Her

Her

"Is there war going to happen?"

"You're here at midnight to discuss war with me?"

"What did you expect?"

Adam looks back at her from where he's lightening fire at the fireplace. Noura pulls her robe tighter against her body and crosses her arm.

"What?" She arches an eyebrow. "You didn't think I was going to have a love talk with you?"

"Are you cold?"

She blinks at his question. "No?"

"Then stop hugging yourself so defensively. I'm not going to pounce on you."

"You can't be trusted."

"That's why you're here at this hour?" He stands up and drags a chair close to the fireplace. "Sit here. Warm yourself."