three: game

Soobin's POV:

Yeonjun and I are nervous wrecks. Seriously, Yeonjun is gripping onto the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles are going white. We got here early, and we've been sitting in the car for the last five minutes in silence. It's not like we knew what to say. I'm so worried about him. He looks like he just saw a ghost, "Jun?" I said, trying to snap him out of his thoughts.

I feel like I've been having to do that more often lately. I wonder what he's been thinking about. He turned to me, gulping and licking his lips like his mouth had gone dry, "Y-Yeah?"

I reached up and started playing with his hair, knowing it calms him down, "Are you ok?"

He suddenly looked annoyed, "Are you ok, right now? How am I supposed to be ok when we don't know whether our son is gonna be allowed to come home with us today or not? Go ahead, enlighten me."

I went quiet and pulled my hand away. I mean, he was right, but I didn't mean to say it like that, "S-Sorry." I quietly said, squeezing my thighs out of anxiousness.

A moment passed before I heard Yeonjun sigh, and I saw his hand reach over to me, placing it over mine as he said, "I'm sorry... I know you didn't mean it like that."

I looked up at him, his eyes looking softer than before. I interlaced our fingers without having to think about it. His hand just always fits so perfectly in mine, "I'm scared too."

Yeonjun gently rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb, "I know. I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to snap at you... We've just waited for so long and I... I-I just want him to be home with us."

"I know it didn't go our way last time, but that guy just discriminated against us... Felix said the woman today is a lot better." I said, gritting my teeth about what had happened two months ago...

"Do you mind having two appas?" The interviewer asked, making Yeonjun and I look at each other with confused faces before we looked back through the window.

Felix was confused too, whispering to him, "Why're you asking him that?"

"It's a standard question."

"I've been doing this for six years... I know it's not a standard question." Felix retorted.

"This is my job, and I'm telling you it's a standard question... Lemme do my job..." He whispered in a firm tone, making Felix go quiet. He turned back to Jochan and asked again, "Jochan, do you mind having two appas?"

Jochan shook his head, looking a bit anxious, "No... I lub appas."

"It doesn't bother you that you don't have an eomma? It's ok if it does—"

"Ok, what're you doing? He already answered the question." Felix interrupted him.

"I'm just making sure he's telling the truth..." He said to Felix before looking back at Jochan, "Do you want an eomma?"

Jochan shrugged, "I don't know."

"You know, it's ok if you don't want two appas, but you have to tell me—"

"Again, with the same question?" Felix interrupted again.

The guy looked really annoyed, "I will make you leave if you keep interrupting."

Felix narrowed his eyes at the guy, "You're not allowed to... Last time I checked, he's under eighteen, so you legally can't kick me out."

"Can you just be quiet and let me continue with the interview."