Chapter 8 - Toboe

"We need to talk.." Alanna said as we sat down. "What does this mean for us?"

"What do you mean?" I asked before i took a bite of my burger.

"I mean the kiss.. What does it mean for us." She said as she looked down, and took a bite of her own burger.

I swallowed my food before speaking, "What do want it to mean for us?"

"I don't know.." She said after she swallowed. She blushed and took another bite. I could clearly see what she wanted it to mean, and it filled me with happiness. Now this i could do. 

I smiled softly and placed my meal aside. Then i turned back to Alanna and took hers as well, placing it with mine. Then i took her hands in one of my seemingly giant ones, using my free hand to gently take hold of her chin. Gently i lifted her face so she was looking at me. With all the confidence i could gather i spoke, "Would you do me the honor of becoming my girlfriend?" The second the words left my mouth, her jaw dropped. I could see the shock in her face but i waited for her answer.

"Yes," She squeaked. I could tell she had tried to be confident but her shock was evident. She giggled and i laughed with her and handed her food back to her. 

This was a new beginning for the both of us.

After we ate, she invited me to stay at her place. I accepted and was settling into the couch when she gave me a look.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Settling in?" I replied.

She smiled a smug smile, "Uh, uh. We're a couple now, that means you and i share a bed." She smirked. I must have gawked, 'cause she laughed. "Not like that you naughty boy," She laughed coming over to lightly slap my leg. "Get your mind out of the gutter." And with that she went to her room, leaving the door wide open. Slowly i got up and followed her. When i got in there she was sitting on the bed, one leg hanging off the side, foot tapping the floor like she was impatient, waiting. Now it was my turn to laugh.

She just looked so damn cute like that. I sat down beside her, pulled her close, all the while still chuckling at her. She gave in, uncrossed her arms, hugged me back and gave her own light lilted chuckle. Then we settled in for the night, under her bed sheets.

It was the middle of the night when i woke, Alanna was cuddled up tight in a ball next to me. Her fists kept clenching and unclenching and her eyes were held tightly shut. She kept mouthing words but the only one i could make out was 'no'. It seemed to me that her fears were not just of losing me. I'm starting to think someone hurt her in her past. She buried her face in my chest, fists going around my shirt.

My shirt started to get soaked and i realizedthat she was crying. Okay, time to wake her up now.

"Alanna," i said while shaking her awake. It took a few tries but she did wake up with a start.

"What- What happened?" She gasped as she sat up.

"You were dreaming." I said. "A nightmare. What happened?" Now it was my turn to ask.

"Uh.. It was uh.." She sighed. "It was a memory. The last time i had a nightmare, i mentioned a man, remember? Well the man is actually someone i knew. A wolf hunter. Except he was convinced i knew where others were so he tried to tortcher it out of me. I died. Then you opened paradise and some how i wasnt dead anymore and he was gone. I spent months evading him and he chased me, then it seemed i lost him. I waited a week before staying in one place. It felt like one endless week of running and waiting. Then i felt the pull here. I still worry that he'll come after me again. Hence the nightmares." She was crying again, but trying to surpress it.

"It'll be okay," I soothed.

"No. Its not going to be okay. After the memory ended, the nightmare played. It was a little different this time though. He spoke before he left. He said- he said he's coming." She looked terrified.

Then the door burst open, the front door not the bedroom door.

"Trouble afoot! " Tsume yelled.

I didnt think it was possible but Alanna looked even more terrified. We jumped out of bed, still fully dressed and made our way to the living room as fast as we could. Alanna was the first to speak.

"What kind of trouble?" She yelled to him, as he was already retreating from the doorway.

"Hunter!" He yelled.

Alanna went pale and stopped in her tracks.

"I did this." She mumbled as i skidded in front of her.  I turned around to grab her shoulders.

"This isnt your fault." I state firmly.

"Yes it is. I did this." She said, her eyes filling with tears. "I led him to you. I did this."

I shook her hard, once. "You didnt do this. We need you though. You need to get a grip." I said.

She nodded and shut her eyes. When they opened they were back to normal but her face was still pale. I took my hands from her shoulders and she held one as we ran after Tsume. We followed him to the rest of the pack. Blue looked on edge and Hige seemed to be in the same boat as me. Kiba looked a little mad but also intreaged.

"Can you smell that?" Kiba asked in a small voice.

Tsume and Hige sniffed the air. "Yeah," they said in unison.

I sniffed too, "It smells like flowers." I said.
All four of us looked at each other at the same time, "Cheza!" We all said in unison as we smiled.

"The flower maiden?" Blue asked. It took me a moment to remember that Blue hadnt seen much of the flower maiden the last time we saw her.

"Yeah." Hige said, turning to her, still smiling.

Whoever this hunter was,  he had brought her back to us. Then our smiles faultered.

She was bait.