19. The End of The Band

Nialls POV

"THE GIRL YOU WHAT?"! Zayn's eyes widened in fury as he screamed at me.

I held the phone away from my ear, starring at the screen in utter disbelief that she had hung up on me.

"The girl I love." I stated confidently, although my hands were shaking in fear of what Zayn would do next.

Zayns hands turned from balled up fists into calm and straight and they dropped to his upper leg, his eyes held distance and he let out a deep breath.

"I can't do this anymore." He whispered, it was so quiet I barely heard it but he definatly said those words.

"Mate, come on. Niall made a mistake, we can fix this." Harry pleaded, trying to calm the sitation.

"She's not a mistake!" My anger grew at Harry. How could he talk about her like that? He was friends with her too! Why was everyone acting like she had been gone from our lives for years now.

"No! I mean I can't do this anymore! I can't be in this band!" Zayn's voice rose in anger and he pulled at his hair.

Gasps from all 4 of us were heard around the room as we eyed eachother in shock.

"Zayn, mate. That's a tad bit drastic." Liam soothed, trying to remove Zayn from the mental state he was in.

"NO!" Zayn screamed out " We can't fix this! We can't go back to the way things were! We arn't a band anymore, we're barely ever friends anymore!"

I wish I could have said to Zayn that I was sorry, that if I knew he was going to leave the band that I would go back and never do it. But I can't say that. I won't say that. I would do it all again, infact if i were to redo everything I would make sure that I met Katie first, that I'd ask her out as soon as I could and Zayn would never have met her or dated her and everything would be fine and simple and perfect. We would all still be friends.

The eery silence in the room was enough to want to make me speak up, I couldn't take this awkward atmopshere a second longer "Zayn."

He looked up at me and we held eye contact, I was expecting there to be hate, dissapointment, fury, anything, but his eyes were void of any emotion. There was nothing left.

"I-I wish things were different." I simply stated and searched his face.

The 3 other boys were just watching our exchange like deer caught in headlights, this moment was almost premediated and inevitable.

"This isn't how I wanted things to end." Zayn let out a breath and shook his head in denial.

None of us tried to tell him this didn't have to be the end; he wouldn't have listened and the lie we would have told would have been too obvious. 

No more words were exchanged as Zayn looked us all each in the eye for a second or so, a wordless goodbye, and stalked out the room.

How had it come to this?

A/N: I don't keep up with One Direction anymore; but the news of Zayn leaving made me realize how much this band meant to me only 2 years ago, when this book was written. I guess this chapter is my way of saying goodbye.