03 - Survivors

We all sat in complete silence. No one wanted to talk after what happened. Everyone, including me, was still in shock. I stared blankly outside the passing landscape from the windows of the bus. Girls cried and clung to each other while I remained calm.
I was to enveloped in my own thoughts.

Escaping the Maze was the hardest thing I've done. We lost girls, I knew all of them. None of them deserved it. But the one death I couldn't stop thinking about was Rachel's. She was killed by Beth, a girl who wouldn't hurt a fly but had a quick temper nonetheless. I still couldn't wrap my mind around it.

I felt the bus stop as I blocked out what the people were telling us to do. I followed Harriet and Sonya off the bus while my mind drifted elsewhere.

When my senses joined me again I found myself in a room with bright yellow walls, red blankets, and green curtains. It was as if they were trying to make us happy with these blinding colors. It made me want to throw up.

Our rescuers left us with other woman and men. They smiled and assigned us beds while they passed out fresh clothes. Then, they served us pizza. Out of all the food in the world they chose pizza. I wasn't complaining, that much, but after what happened I didn't want to feel joy. I wanted to wallow, grieve. But here, there wasn't time for that.

"Hey, Anne, try to lighten up. You're making this worse for everyone with that brooding look," Harriet commented.

"Smile a little, scar," a girl named Izzy sneered.

I looked up at her, a frown covering my face. "You know I hate that nickname," I said bitterly.

She was referring to the scar that ran from my forehead, skipping my eye, down to my cheek. I had no clue how I got it, I just came up in the Box with it.

"Aris, come with me please," a woman broke in.

"Why?" the boy asked.

"You shouldn't sleep in a room full of girls," she answered with a raised eyebrow. Aris nodded and followed her to a room.

Sonya stood up with a sigh. "I guess that's our queue."

We all went into the room with our beds, then people claimed their bunks. There was an odd amount of girls so that meant one of us would have a bunkbed to ourselves. That person was going to be me.

When I looked around all of the bunks were occupied. I smirked when I saw Izzy on a top bed with no one at the bottom.

I stomped beside her, a brooding look upon my face. I stared at Izzy until she noticed I was there. She looked at me with clueless eyes, indicating that she didn't know what I wanted.

"You're on my bed," I told her, raising an eyebrow.

"It's not yours. I got here first!" she said, trying to defend herself.

"I got here second, glad we got that over with. Now, are you going to get your ass off my bed, or am I going to have to do it for you?"

"Stop being such a brat, scar."

Without a warning I grabbed her by the hair and pulled her down from her perch.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!" Izzy cried out in pain. "Stop!"

I let go of her red hair before swiftly climbing to my rightful place. I sat there proudly like I was sitting on a throne for a queen.

"Anne, can you try to be somewhat nice for one day please? I can't handle more of this," Harriet pleaded. "After everything we need to stick together." I ignored her and slid under the red blanket.

Blocking out the whispers of the girls was not an easy task. No matter how much I wanted to sleep, their conversations won my curiosity. Some of them were talking about me and how I was a cold heartless bitch sometimes. Others were talking about the Maze and the girls we lost. Sonya was trying to hush them because some wanted to rest. She always thought of others, something I was secretly envious of. Harriet, her best friend, was a natural born leader, something I could never be because I was too selfish and I knew it. I also knew I wasn't like any of the other girls. I had scars and nightmares filled with fire and blood. Those things gave me hints of what happened to me before I entered the Maze. It looked like I didn't have a very good life.

As soon as the girls stopped talking I drifted into sleep. I didn't dream, something I did almost nightly, because I was so exhausted. My muscles were finally relaxed and free of tension. But, the bliss didn't last long as a loud shattering sound came from the window. I shot up and turned my head towards the noise. What I saw was something I would never forget.

In the window was two people with bloody hands and faces. The woman looked to have a missing eye with a long gash along her forehead. The boy with her could have been only 15, his hair had chunks ripped out and his his cheek was burned so badly I couldn't imagine what had done that to him. The longer I stared at them, the more disgusted I became.

The only thing that kept them separated from us was crisscrossed steel bars. They gripped onto them while they laughed with each other, their eyes filled with madness.

"Can you get the bugs out of our brains?" the boy asked, showing his black, rotting teeth with pride.

The woman laughed while throwing her head back. "I can feel them eating my brains! Get them out!"

Then the two of them then began chanting the same two words over and over again. "Kill me! Kill me! Kill me! Kill me!..."

🐍🐝🐍🐝🐍🐝🐍🐝🐍🐝🐍🐝🐍

Remember Vote and Comment! :)