11 - Alone

"Anne. Anne! Calm down!" Sonya said as she shook my shoulders.

My breathing was still fast and unsteady. My hands were trembling and my chest felt tight and uncomfortable. I couldn't focus on anything long enough to stop this from happening. The thoughts of Teresa talking to me inside my mind and the visions I've been having took over my head.

Sonya kneeled down beside me, a look of concern on her pale face. Was she actually worried about me? No one has cared about how I felt ever since Rachel died. She was the only one who made me feel like I belonged.

"Breath with me," she said "In and out. In and out." I did as she said and it actually helped my breathing. "Now try to think of something positive, like the best memory you have."

I thought of the day I came into the Maze. I was so scared that I punched Izzy in the face. I gave her the biggest bloody nose ever, it was hilarious. We've never gotten along since that day. But the best part about that was when Rachel came up and I told her about it, she laughed with me. That's the exact moment I knew we were going to be friends.

Now I was completely calm. She had done it. She had helped me.

"What was that all about, scar?" Izzy sneered.

"None of your damn business," I barked. I finally stood up before readjusting my backpack. Being all flustered like that made me feel awkward and in the spotlight. I didn't like that, mainly because I wasn't used to it.

Leaning down, I picked up my machete that fell on the floor. When I straightened up I noticed everyone was still staring at me. I cleared my throat before pointing to the giant screen in front of me. "The real show is up there," I told them. Slowly their eyes left my vicinity and focused on the girl who caused my discomfort.

She was talking to a boy. I could see her lips moving but no sound came out. There was no sound at all. I could only watch Teresa as she spoke to, who I assumed, was Thomas. He looked confused and worried at the same time. If he's so awful like Teresa makes him out to be why was he acting this way?

Teresa, out of no where, kissed Thomas. Now I was the confused one. The mystery that is that girl is becoming more unsolved by the minute.

"I thought she hated him," Harriet frowned.

She pulled away then stumbled back and hit the wall. Terror struck her features but she said something to him anyway. After she did that, Thomas ran out of the building.

"Is he really that bad of a kisser," I snickered.

"Why don't you find out?" Elizabeth asked.

I shrugged. "Eh. Not my type."

"How do you know if you have a type? We haven't been around boys for years."

"Well I know he isn't. I don't like to kiss boys we're going to kill."

That shut them up.

Teresa came down the stairs while she wiped off her mouth. "I can't believe they made me do that," she cried. By the way she was acting it was like that boy had poisoned her lips.

"Made you?" Harriet questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, made me! You think I would want to kiss him? After what he did to me?"

I rolled my eyes. "We don't even know what he did to you. For all we know he could have just given you a paper cut."

"You don't want to know, trust me."

Trust me. Those two words have been repeated by Teresa since I had that weird flash back. Maybe she thought if she said it enough times we would trust her. I could tell others believed every word that slipped from her lips. But I was the complete opposite. I had to convince myself to listen to her because, believe it or not, I don't trust her.

Harriet and Sonya took charge as they lead us down the lengthy tunnel. Every ten minutes or so we would come to a pitch black shaft that led away from the straight path we were on. I always squinted my eyes to try to see down it, but it was too dark. I was repeatedly wary when we passed them because it reminded me of the Maze at night. You never knew when a Griever would come barreling from around the corner. Now I guess it was Cranks instead of Grievers.

"We should get some rest," Sonya stated as she stopped walking. "We're going to need all of the energy we can get."

We all spread out against the concrete walls and sat down. Some of the girls ate a little food or took a sip of the water. We decided not waste our resources until we knew when we'd get more. After that, they laid their heads onto the backpacks and tried to sleep.

I leaned my head on the wall, remaining the only one awake. That seemed to be a recurring pattern with me. I was surprised that I didn't look a Crank because of lack of sleep I got.

"Anne? What are you doing?" Sonya questioned. She was propped up on one elbow while she rubbed her eyes.

"Can't sleep," I whispered.

She stood up and sat next to me. It was very quiet in here, it would have been silent if it wasn't for the little snores. That lessened the awkward tension between Sonya and I.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"You can't sit here by yourself," she responded.

"Why not? I'm used to it."

"Your used to sitting alone?"

"No, being alone."

Sonya's eyes found mine. "You're not alone. You have all of us," she said gesturing around.

"Just because I'm around people doesn't mean I feel welcome or included. Ever since we've gotten out of the Maze I've been alone."

"I'm sorry about Rachel, Anne," she apologized while placing her delicate hand on my shoulder. "I don't think I've said that to you yet."

I laughed dryly. "Congrats. You're the first person to actually talk to me about her. She wasn't my best friend or anything, just Aris's."

"I'm sorry. I should've been there for you. We were so caught up in what was happening around us that we didn't pay attention to what was happening right in front of our faces. You must be hurting so much right now, I can't imagine."

I didn't respond for quite a while. If I told Sonya that I was hurting, I would break down for sure. Bottling up my emotions felt like best option for my well being.

"Is that what happened back at the stairs?" she asked.

I shook my head. "It was Teresa."

"How? You can tell me, Anne. I promise I won't say anything."

I looked at Sonya, debating whether or not to explain to her what happened. If I did, Teresa would be exposed, but she would most likely have something up her sleeve to get back at me. If I didn't, the blue eyed girl could get away with what she was doing, but I would be safe from her backlash.

"I can't tell you because it's not important. Don't ask me anything else about it, I won't answer. So go back to sleep and leave me alone."

Sonya gave me a hurt look but I didn't care. Self preservation always wins in these situations. If I was going to win against WICKED, I couldn't be this stupid. Doing this would protect myself, but it would also help them even if they didn't know it.

💋💧💋💧💋💧💋💧💋💧💋💧💋

I cracked the screen on my phone, such a wonderful day.

Remember to Vote and Comment earthlings!