12 - The Death Of A Friend

Lightning. It came from above our heads with a gigantic crash.

At first I thought it was in my head again, but I noticed everyone else jumped at the sound too. We looked around at one another wondering what to do. Soon, all of us continued to walk forward.

The lightning strikes, at first, were more spaced out. But as time went on they came one after the other. They shook the tunnel slightly because they connected with the ground so forcefully.

I wondered how the boys were dealing with this storm. If it was making me shit my pants when I was underground, nothing could compare to how they felt up there. I almost felt bad for them. They were probably losing people at this exact moment, then we were going to come and kill another one of their group. I know I would be pissed, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. Even if it means becoming a killer.

The ceiling overhead cracked when the flash of electricity hit. Bits of concrete fell on top of our heads and got stuck in our hair. I quickly brushed it out before I kept moving.

"We should start running. These tunnels might collapse onto us," Harriet suggested as she sped up.

"Glad I got running practice in the Maze. Never knew it would actually come in handy," I scoffed.

As we ran Sonya broke into the lead. She was the fastest of the group and she was proud of that. Although I wasn't that far behind her, I didn't feel like turning this into a race when we were already racing for our lives.

Lightning crashed again and again and again. Some girls lost their footing but they got right back up and kept going. It was getting so loud I couldn't even hear myself think, much less yell at everyone to go faster.

Out of no where Sonya fell onto her stomach. She started to be dragged down one of the dark shafts by an invisible force.

"Sonya!" I screamed, knowing she couldn't hear me.

I quickly sped up and darted left into the pitch black tunnel. I could faintly see her desperately trying to get a grip onto something while a rope, tied to her foot, pulled her away. When she saw me words came out of her mouth that I couldn't understand. But when I got closer I now knew what Sonya was trying to warn me about.

"Cranks!" she shrieked.

Before I could react something hard hit me in the head. I flew back and landed on my arm. I groaned while my forehead throbbed and my arm stung. I didn't have time to wallow in pain because from deep in the darkness a disgusting creature emerged. His face was full of sores and blisters. Most of his flesh appeared to be torn, stretched, and burned. I couldn't quite tell, but from what I could see it looked like the his skull was showing. Man, that had to have hurt.

The monster lunged at me, his body flying atop of mine. His mangled hands found my throat before squeezing. I could feel my eyes bulging out of their sockets due to how much pressure he was putting on my throat. This Crank was enjoying killing me. He smiled like he had won everything he ever wanted in the world. I wanted to cut that grin from his mutated face. So, I reached behind myself until I felt the handle to the machete on my finger tips. I gripped onto it before swinging it into his shoulder.

A cry of pain escaped his burnt off lips. I stood up while breathing in air deeply. I then ripped out the machete that was lodged into his muscle.

Harriet finally came into the tunnel with others. They had their weapons out and ready.

"Hold this one down," I ordered them. "We can't kill him yet, they still have Sonya."

Just as I said that a Crank came out of the shadows with a knife pressed to the blonde's throat. Lightning decided to crash at that moment and make the atmosphere even more ominous.