16 - Joining The Boys

Running to the boys was not easy. First of all, the heat made me start sweating earlier then I wanted to. Then there was the wind that kept picking up ever so slightly. Nevertheless, I continued running until my lungs burned.

I was almost there when I saw some of them pulling out weapons. They had mostly knives, but they also had a few spears and a machete. I made sure to make it clear that I had no intention of using my weapon on them by waving my hands in the air. They didn't seem to care. This definitely wasn't going to go well at all.

I slowed down just when thunder boomed in the sky. I cringed at the loud noise but walked forward anyways. Dirt flew in my eyes so I had to keep rubbing my them to stop them from stinging.

"What the shuck do you want?!" I heard one of them yell.

I looked up at and raised my hands in the air. "I just want to talk, that's all, I swear!" I responded truthfully.

When they appeared to not want to kill me, I progressed until I was standing in front of all of them.

"I want to make on thing clear," I started. "We didn't kill Thomas. I know you can't see him over there, that's because he went off to find Teresa on his own for some reason."

"How do we know you ain't lying?" a boy questioned.

I placed my hands on my hips with a sigh. "If we really did kill him why would I risk my life coming over here by myself. It doesn't make sense. Plus, the only reason we were going to off him in the first place was because WICKED told us too. We were forced too. If we weren't forced, we would have left you all alone. No one wakes up in the morning and decides to kill a random kid, well maybe except those Cranks. We haven't gone that crazy yet."

The boys whispered amongst themselves until a blond boy, Newt, stepped forward. When he looked at me I could see a sadness in his eyes. A sadness that came from a missing friend.

"We believe you," he stated. "Is that all you wanted to talk to us about?"

I shook my head. "No. I wanted to ask you about, well, me."

"Go on."

I stayed quiet for a minute or so because I didn't know how to begin. After racking my brain, I decided to start from the beginning.

"When I was in the Maze, the girls maze, I had these weird dreams with fire and blood. I kept having those dreams over and over again. I thought they might have something to do with this scar that I have in my face," I began. "That was the first thing that made me different. When we got out of the Maze and went to that building we found tattoos on our backs. Mine said I was part of Group A. That really freaked me out then 'cause we didn't know about you guys. Then I had three dreams, or memories."

I didn't want to tell them about the first two. Who knows how they would react. If I was going to keep myself alive, I needed to be more careful.

"The first two don't matter. But in the third one, I was in your Maze. I was... I was with a guy named, Minho. You could probably imagine my surprise when I saw him because I thought the dreams were just that, dreams. So, I came here to get real answers and not just things Tommy boy told me he heard," I finished with a huff.

"It's all true," Newt said. "You were in our Maze. You got that scar from Leo. We thought he bloody killed you, apparently he didn't."

My heart rate picked up at the thought that a whole other chunk of my memory was taken from me. Was this all part of my plan that I devised with WICKED? If it was I must have had the Flare because this is all fucking crazy. Why would I put myself through all of this? Nothing in this world would be worth going through this kind of pain.