18 - Not So Safe

"You've got to be shiting me," I groaned as I looked at a stick that protruded from the ground. The orange ribbon tied to it read: THE SAFE HAVEN. That was it. Nothing else. It was literally a stick in the dirt.

I dragged my hands down my face, completely and utterly frustrated. "Slim it, Anne. This is probably just some trick to make us mad," Minho said. "And it's working."

I was about to respond when Newt got our attention. "Looks like we got company." He was referring to Thomas, Aris, and Teresa who were just arriving. Oh, great. Nice of them to join us at this moment of pure joy. Can't wait for more negativity because I'm surely not giving off enough.

Minho broke through the crowd of people to greet them. "It's about time you slowpokes caught up with us!" he yelled at them.

Thomas took a moment to catch his breath before responding with, "I thought you'd be fightin' tooth and nail with these girls after what they did to us. To me, anyway."

Minho looked back at me as I began to make my way toward them. I met eyes with Teresa, but I quickly glanced away, not wanting to deal with her right now. After everything, I couldn't believe she was with Thomas like nothing happened. It disgusted me.

I scoffed, "Like he would have a chance, even with those muscles of his."

I found myself standing next to Minho, our arms almost touching. When his eyes met mine I winked to play with him a little. I then turned my head back to the brunette boy, his puppy like face very confused.

With a smirk, the burned boy spoke, "She's right, we wouldn't have chance. Not with their nastier weapons, not to mention bows and arrows. Plus, Anne here explained everything. We're the ones who should be surprised that you're still with them. " He glared at Teresa and Aris. "Never trusted either one of those shuck traitors."

"I'm on the same boat as you," I said, agreeing with Minho.

"They're on our side. Trust me," Thomas told us.

Minho laughed bitterly. "Figured you'd say something like that. Let me guess, it's a long story."

"Yeah, very like story. Why'd you stop here? What's everybody looking at?"

Minho swept his strong arm behind him after he stepped to the side. "Have a peeky-peek yourself." Then he yelled to the groups, "You guys make a path!"

Let's just say his reaction was as good as mine. I didn't want to listen to him complain, and I also didn't want to hear the conversation that was bound to happen between Brenda and Teresa, so I went and sat with Frypan and Newt. They were having a conversation about something I wasn't interested it in, making me not want to join it. But when Minho sat down next to me my mood lightened up a bit.

"So what was with that wink back there?" he questioned.

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out," I responded. I smiled to myself because the wink really was nothing. All I wanted to do was play hard to get. If he thought I was already head over heels for him, he had another thing coming. I can't say he wasn't growing on me 'cause that wouldn't be true. But he was still an asshole with an ego too big for his body.

A smile broke out on his face. It was one of hope and satisfaction. "I think I've already figured it out."

I nodded, trying to act as real as possible. "Is that right? Well you have really worked your charm."

"Too bad that wink meant nothing."

I looked at him in shock, my finger nails digging in the dirt. "How..."