08 - The Rat Trap

I sat on the bed with my knees brought up to my chest and my arms wrapped around my legs. I was thinking. Thinking about those three dreams. The first one was slowly fading from my mind, I could only predict that it would happen to the other two. So I had to come up with an explanation for them as soon as possible before I forgot.. again.

Dream number one. I was obviously trying to wiggle my way into WICKED. I was trying to help them. But why? Why would I want to kill someone, for a cure.

Dream number two. The first thing I thought was that I was in a group who were against WICKED. And they were utterly pissed at me.

Dream number three. I had to think about this one for a long time. Way longer then the rest because I didn't want to believe the answer my brain was trying to give me. The conclusion I ended up with was that I was inside the other Maze that Teresa told us about. But, I seemed so different. My personality was definitely not the same to what it is now. Then there was that Minho boy. Who was he? How could I even think about loving someone in this Hell whole of a world?

Maybe these dreams were just illusions put in my head by the creators. Who knows what those assholes are up to. So, that's what I'm going to believe. That they are fake. They are just things to get me all worked up to distract me from the real problem.

"What the hell?!" I heard a girl yell. I scrambled to my feet and ran to the common area while ignoring the loud noise of hunger that came from my stomach.

What I found was everyone gathered around a table. A table filled with food. Actual food. Not eating in three days made those fruits and vegetables look like my lord and savior.

I pushed my way to the front, getting insults thrown at me while doing so. Not eating made everyone crabby beyond belief.

I grabbed a peach, the biggest carrot I could find, and a pear. After eating the pear as fast as I could I learned that doing that was a really bad idea. I ran to the bathroom and threw it right back up in the toilet. I ate the other two things nice and slow.

When I went back into the common area my eyes landed on a large wooden desk. There was a man in a white suit behind it. He just sat there reading a book.

"Who the fuck are you?!" I shouted as I stomped over to him.

When I got only ten feet away from the pale man I slammed into something. I fell back onto my butt as my forehead began to sting. Confused, I got to my feet and reached out in front of myself. It seemed to be an invisible wall. I glided my hand across it, trying to find a way around it.

Everyone gathered next to me before touching the wall too. "Who are you?" Harriet asked. He didn't answer.

I slammed my hand on the invisible wall which resulted in him lifting his head. "We asked you a question," I snarled. "I would very appreciate it if you would actually acknowledge that we're here."

"I know you're there," he finally said. "But you're going to have to wait until I'm ready."

"Well, too bad, I'm ready now," I sassed. He didn't even move. I stared holes through this head to see if he'd do something, when he didn't I spoke again, "Come on baldy we've waited three days, you've had enough time to get ready."

"Come on, Rat Man. At least tell us something," Sonya pleaded.

I laughed, "Rat Man, nice one." I held up my hand and we gave each other a high five.

We sat around for what seemed like hours. Rat man kept on reading and reading and reading, not stop. He never talked once after he said we had to wait until he was ready. Ready for what? World domination? To get a wig? Who knows?

"Imagine what would happen if he spilled spaghetti on all that white," I said trying to pass the time.

Teresa chuckled, "Or grape juice. That would be the worst."

"I really wish that wall wasn't there. I would so 'accidentally' spill something on that suit."

Before Teresa could respond Rat Man opened a drawer and pulled out a manila folder. He set it on the desk before looking up at us.

"Now, I can finally tell you what I've been Instructed too. Please listen carefully," he said.

He began to explain things to us like Killzones and variables and how we would save the human race. He then said that he was part of WICKED. That's when it was confirmed for me that this wasn't over, it probably wouldn't be for a long time.

But there was one thing that caught my attention the most. He said, "We can manipulate your brains and nerve receptacles when necessary."

So my dreams weren't real. They were some test they put in my brain while they were controlling it. Is it not comforting to know I won't know what's real or not. That's just about the best news I've heard in years.

Rat Man told us that everything that was thrown at us in the Maze served a purpose. Even Rachael dying.

"Shut up," I spat. "We already know she's dead, you don't have to remind us that you killed our friend. My friend."

His eyes stared into mine with a hint of sadness. "All of it has been part of the Trials, you understand? Phase One, to be exact. And we are still dangerously short of what we need. So we've had to up the ante, and now it's time for Phase Two. It's time for things to get difficult."

"It's been difficult enough for us you asshole!" Elizabeth suddenly shouted.

Izzy joined in, "Give us a break."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. Not now," he paused. "Before I explain anything else to you, I want you know what has happened to the earth."

Sun flares. A disease called the Flare. It hit me like a bullet. That explained those crazy people outside the building with melted faces.

What I learned was that all of us already had the virus. I didn't want to end up like those freaks. There has to be a way to stop it from making us go crazy too.

"Is there a cure?" Sonya asked.

He nodded. "To get the cure, there is something you must do," Rat Man said, crossing his arms.

"And what's that?" I asked.

"You must kill Thomas."

🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀🍐🐀

Remember to Vote and Comment!

(Shout out to the pear.)