22 - It's Over

The wind whipped Brenda's hair in front of her face but it didn't mask the fear and panic that was in her eyes. The man continued to drag the girl toward the open hair where she would surely be put to death. The determination in the guards features was almost frightening, the way he didn't even seem to think killing someone was a big deal.

When he was halfway to the edge, Thomas acted.

He jumped forward and slammed into the man's knees, tackling him to the floor; the gun clattered on the ground next to him. Brenda fell to the side, but Teresa was there to catch her, pull her back from the dangerous edge of the door. Thomas put his left forearm against the man's throat and reached for the gun with his other hand. Then he quickly jumped up and away and held the pistol with both hands, pointing it at the stranger sprawled on his back.

"No one else dies," Thomas said, his breathing heavy. "If we haven't done enough to pass your stupid tests, then we fail. The tests are over."

The guy's face softened, a small smile forming on it. He sat up before scooting backwards until his back hit a wall. Then, the large cargo door began closing. I had to say, I was extremely relieved. That meant no more psychos could try to throw someone off.

"My name's David," the man announced. All of us remained silent. "And don't worry, you're right. It's over. It's all over."

I scoffed, "It's all over. Yeah, okay, I believe you. It's not like you've told us that before, then lied. All you do is lie to us, so I'm done with all of your bullshit." I was obviously beyond pissed, but what I said didn't even come close to the rage that was building inside of me.

"Yeah, this time we mean it," Thomas added. "We're not going to sit back and let you treat us like rats anymore. We're done."

David scanned his eyes over the group. He was seeing if the others had the same opinion as Thomas and I. I imagined they did because no one would trust them at this point.

The red head slowly got to his feet, almost hesitant. He was probably thinking we would charge at him. But when he was fully standing, he relaxed and stuck his hands in his pockets. "What you don't understand is that everything has gone and will continue to go as planned. But you're right, the Trials are complete. We're taking you to a place of safety, a real place of safety. No more tests," he paused to look at me. "No more lies, no more setups. No more pretending."

He took in a long breath before continuing. "I can only promise one thing. When you hear why we've put you through this, and why it's so important that so many of survived, you'll understand. I promise you'll understand."

Minho snorted. "That's the biggest bunch of klunk I've ever heard in my life."

Thomas smiled slightly at Minho. "And what about the cure? We were promised. For us and the two who helped us get here. How can we believe anything you tell us?"

"Think what you want for now," David said. "Things will change from here out, and you'll get the cure, just like you were told. As soon as we get back to headquarters. You can keep that gun, by the way, we'll even give you some more, of you'd like. There'll be nothing else for you to fight against, no tests or trials to ignore or refuse. Our Berg will land, you'll see that you're safe and cured, and then you can do what you want. The only thing we'll ever ask you to do again is to listen. Only to listen. I'm sure you're at least intrigued by what's behind all this?"

He was lying. I knew it. They weren't going to be done with us just like that. No way in hell. If any of this was for a purpose, then there was defiantly more to it.

"No more games," Thomas said.

"First sign of trouble," Minho added, "we start fighting. If that means we die then so be it."

An awkward smile appeared on David's face. "You know that exactly what we predicted you'd do at this point."

"Well good for you, your mom must be so proud," I murmured, earning a smile of satisfaction from Minho.

The man motioned an arm toward the small door at the back of the cargo hold. "Shall we?"

Newt spoke up this time, "What's next on the bloody agenda?"

"Just thought you'd like to eat something, maybe take a shower. Sleep. It's a very long flight."

All of us glanced around at each other, very suspicious on what was really going to happen. We had no choice really but to follow him. You know, unless we wanted to plummet to our deaths. Once again, we were being forced to do what they wanted.

⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️🚷⁉️

~Don't forget to vote and comment!~