Chapter 7

"Everyone get to safety!"

Civilians scamper away as the villain, named Shogun, begins to move his sword in certain directions.

A kanji symbol appears behind him before his sword is infused with some sort of power. It's glowing now, and I would rather keep that thing away from me.

I'm just also pissed that this villain had to cut things short. I was actually enjoying what I was learning in school for once.

Shogun swings at me, causing a curved blade of wind to destroy part of the building behind me. I roll to the side to avoid falling debris.

Damn, that almost got me. Where are Ladybug and Cat Noir? Backup would be pretty helpful right now.

"That was a warning shot. I won't miss next time... unless you give me your Miraculous!"

I smirk as his smile falters. I've been doing a great job with this secret identity stuff. No one knows that I don't have a Miraculous, not even Ladybug and Cat Noir.

He starts to write another kanji symbol, only for someone to throw a rock at him. The kanji symbol disappears as he whirls around to deal with whoever threw the rock.

So Shogun can't be interrupted or else the power boost is cancelled. That's good to know.

What isn't good, however, is that Shogun is closing in on the person who threw a rock at him. A young woman, maybe even an older teenager, is the one who has his attention.

I fly over there as quick as I can, but it's too late. By the time I get my hands on him, the woman is already cut in half and bleeding out.

I tense up as I stare at the sight in front of me. It's like everything is in slow motion. All the colors around me blur except for the distinct crimson color pooling around my feet. That blood is the only thing I feel right now. All other physical stimuli is practically nonexistent to me.

Next is the sharp sting of iron entering my nose. Such a pungent odor, too. It's so awful it's affecting my sense of taste as well. It's making me a bit nauseous.

Finally, the guttural sounds coming from this woman will haunt me forever. For as long as she's bleeding out, she can feel all this pain. She knows she's dying and nothing can be done about it.

I was too slow.

Anger sears through me as I tightly wrap my arms around Shogun from behind. I fly high, only to flip around and soar toward the ground with Shogun's head first.

He screams as we plummet toward the ground. Tears are forming in his eyes, but I have no sympathy. He killed someone, and I believe in an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

"Blackwing! No!"

No, Ladybug. I was the one who had to deal with all of this. I had to watch her die right in front of me. You can't tell me to not kill this man after he killed someone else.

We crash hard into the ground and a big cloud poofs up. Even with his helmet on, I still hear the crack of his neck breaking. That was the most satisfying crack I've ever heard.

I slowly climb out of the crater holding Shogun's sword. I hold it out to Cat Noir, who's hesitant for a few seconds, before eventually destroying it.

After Ladybug captures the akuma, I look over at the woman. She's... alive?

I rush over to her and help her up. She screams and winces before looking down and noticing that she's no longer cut in half.

Even so, all the Miraculous Ladybug did was bring her back to life. She still remembers that pain, she's traumatized from it. I truly believe that I did nothing wrong.