Chapter 9

Warmth is the first thing I feel as I slowly become aware of my surroundings. I rub my eyes as I yawn before sitting up.

Alix curls into the blankets as I stand, causing a smile to form on my face.

I pick up my clothes I threw around last night and get some new ones before entering the bathroom. I step into the shower while thinking about what to make Alix for breakfast.

She really liked those pancakes I made at Marinette's place. Maybe I can make them again?

Some muffled movement catches my attention, but I no longer pay any attention to it. It's probably Alix moving around after waking up.

After my shower, I am met with a familiar scent coming from the kitchen. Pancakes?

I step into the kitchen just as Alix flips a pancake. We smile at each other as I get some plates and silverware.

"What a nice surprise. I was actually planning on getting you breakfast instead."

Alix mixes some more pancake batter in a separate bowl.

"You can do it next time, if you can beat me to the kitchen first."

I set the table, only to stop in my tracks before I bump into someone.

My dad stands in the kitchen next to the coffee maker in a t-shirt and boxers. I tense slightly. My parents don't know anything about my love life. They've never mentioned anything about it, so I hope they don't really care that much.

My dad just nods to Alix before taking his cup of coffee and leaving. Alix and I stare at each other for a few moments.

"...Your dad is cool."

"Mhm."

I take a seat at the table as I look at my phone. Everything starts blurring around me as my eyes read the words on the screen.

'Blackwing Officially Declared Outlaw of Paris'?

I immediately read the article.

It all comes down to Mayor Bourgeois declaring me an outlaw of Paris and that if I am seen, everybody is required to use as much force as necessary to take me in.

The Mayor? So Chloé has something to do with this? That doesn't surprise me, but I don't know what she would want with me. She doesn't know my identity, so why...?

A plate of pancakes is set in front of me. I smile up at Alix before eating to hide my true feelings.

Me? An outlaw? I guess it isn't meant to be.

I finish as much as I can before washing my plate. I pat Alix on the head as I pass her.

"I'm going to get ready for school. Meet you back down here in a few minutes."

Alix nods as I exit the kitchen and head for my room. As I prepare my things, a sick feeling develops in my stomach.

Does Alix know? From the looks of it, she doesn't but that article was breaking news when I read it, so there's only a slim chance Alix doesn't know yet.

I grab my things and hers before rejoining her. She smiles and grabs her things before walking out the door. I follow and stay silent the entire walk there.

Upon entering the school, most students are deep into conversation with each other while at least one person in every group has their phone out. Even from a distance, I can tell that they're discussing the news.

I glance back at Alix. She really does look like she has no idea what's going on. She has to be playing dumb for my sake to try and keep me calm and not pissed off about the whole thing.