Chapter 4

Elena stood there shivering, eyes closed, as she awaited the beasts fangs to sink into her statuesque body and rip her apart. She couldn't believe it was going to end this way but then again it was better than during at the same hand as her father. Elion would not have the satisfaction of killing off what he thought was all that was left of Kai's family.
Suddenly a howling rang out from right in front of her face and curiously she opened her eyes to slits,peeking out to see what was happening.
Through her small eyes she could see a figure standing a little to her left so she opened them even more and the figure came into view. It was a male with short black hair and blue eyes wearing a brown vest with dark pants and his sword was extended.

Elena fell to her knees and started to beg to the male. "Please don't kill me. I'm sorry if I trespassed in your forest. I just need to get to Runera. I beg ykh to have mercy on me."
She couldn't believe her luck. First a beast was going to kill her and now this male but what had happened to the beast. She turned to her right and saw the bloody body of the beast laying there,eyes open. The male must have done this but why? Did he want to have the satisfaction of killing her himself.
As she thought all this through she was interrupted by the male. "Please stop. I mean you now harm. I was coming through the woods and heard noises which led me to you. I'm glad I got here when I did or you would be gone ".

He reached out his hand to her. "Come on now. Up you go", he said as she took his hand and he slowly lulled her up to her feet. He smiled at her as she shook her head and duated off her knees and legs.

"T..thank you sir. I a..appreciate your help", she said shakily as she kept avoiding eye contact. Elena was a little shy around new people and it showed in her blushing red face.
The male couldn't help but smile and chuckle a little before he continued speaking. "I am James of the Kingdom of Humans, Illyria. I was to find a kitsune by the name of Kai. The king wishes to have an audience with his old friend."
Elena's ear perked up. Friend? Her father had never mentioned being a personal friend of the Illyrian king. How did she know he was telling the truth?

"If that's true then do you know who I am? " Surely her father had sent a letter or two to his friend with details of his life and such.
James looked to her and bit his lip as he thought hard. After a minute his face lit up with a smile and he pointed at her "You must be one of his daughters then. I am sorry to say I was never told the exact details but I was told by the king that he would have two daughters and a wife.". James stepped closer as he spoke and reached out his hand to shake hers.

Elena stared at his hand then looked up into his eyes, unsure if she could trust him. He had saved her from the beast and he claimed to be from Illyria and knew of her father. On the other hand she didn't really know him and wasn't sure if he was being truthful.
Through her internal conflict she finally decided to just go for it and extended her tiny hand and shook his gently.
"I...I am Elena, Kai was my father", she said half scared,half sad. "I hate to be the one to tell you this but....my father is dead....". Her eyes fell from James' to the grass at her feet and she started to cry.
Great she thought. JustwhatIneed, for see strangertoseemebe weak.
James stepped closer and reached his arm out and placed his hand on her shoulder and then slowly pulled her into him,wrapping her up in a hug. "Shhhhhhhhh, it's ok", He comforted. Softly he rubbed her back and kept shushing her.
Elena leaned into his embrace as if she didn't care. She felt a warmth she hadn't felt in awhile and she wanted more but then she snapped back to reality and pushed him away.
"What are you doing?", she asked as she turned away,playing off what she had just felt.
James stood there confused at her actions.
"I was trying to be nice and comfort you. I am sorry for the loss of your father."
Elena looked at him and the snapped back," I don't need to be coddled like a child! Definitely by somebody I barely know."