tired eyes

————————————————————————————

Cormac Hayes was tired. he was beyond tired to the point that his tired was tired. it had been 32 hours since he last saw his kids and it's been 48 hours since he last saw his girlfriend, Meredith Grey. as much as he loved his job it was times like this, when the shifts became long and hard, he slightly hated them, especially when they took him away from his family.

he was on his final rounds of the shift, checking closely at the 3 month old baby girl that came in half way through his shift. this baby was the reason his 18 hour shift turned into a 32 hour one. the baby girl came in with difficulty breathing which then lead to its lungs shutting down which lead to surgery and therefore lead to the added hours on his shift. after thoroughly checking the baby's sats, lung sounds and oxygen level and being 100% satisfied she as stable he dragged his tired body to the attendings lounge ready to get changed and head home to his family. what he didn't expect when he walked into the lounge was to see his girlfriend sat on the couch reading through a patient file.

"hey, what're you doing here?" he asked, exhaustion dripping in his speech.
"hey, bailey called and asked for a second opinion in a patient and it's been 2 days since i've seen you so here i am." she smiled up at him but the smile faded quickly when she saw how tired he was.
"how long has it been since you've slept?" she asked, worriedly.
"erm, 32 hours i think." he answered, mid yawn and rubbing his eyes.
"cormac! your exhausted, why didn't you have a nap in the on call room?" she asked, standing up  to pull him down to sit in the couch.
"because a 3 month old baby came in with breathing difficulties which lead to more complications and she's been touch and go so i've not had the chance." he explained.
"here," she patted her lap, "you need sleep and i'm not letting you drive home this tired so have a nap here with me." she told him.
"meredith it's fine, i'm fine. plus don't you have that consult with bailey?" he asked, not wanting to impose but silently wanting to just lay with her.
"it's fine cormac, i'll page her here and tell her or i'll go find her later after you've rested. i'm not taking no for an answer." she told him sternly but with a small smirk on her face.
"okay. you know your the best." he smiled and leant over to give her a kiss then laid his head across her lap.  
"just for you. i've missed you." she told his softly, stroking his cheek.
"i've missed you too, baby." he turned his face to kiss her palm.
"sleep cor." she told him softly. he nodded his head and closed his eyes, sleep finding him easily with his girlfriend next to him, a content smile in his face.