protective pt.2

so this is gonna be Meredith being protective over Hayes
————————————————————————————
due to COVID a number of doctors have decided to retire from the hospital so there has been a big need for new doctors in all departments.  whilst most departments haven't been quite so lucky, Hayes has been able to find and hire a new paediatric doctor, Dr Maria Reynolds.

it was a Monday morning which meant the start of a new week and the first day for Dr Reynolds. Hayes had stayed the night at Meredith's house, the first time they had properly seen each other is 56 hours.
"good morning." a tired voice mumbled from behind him.
"morning, i made coffee." he greeted Meredith, pulling her into a hug.
"this is why i keep you around." she sighed happily leaning up to press a gentle kiss to his lips.
"oh is that right," he smirked, "so it's not because of that thing you liked me doing last night?" he raised his eyebrow, the smirk still on his face.
"okay, that too. why are you ready so early by the way?" Meredith asked, sipping her coffee.
"i'm meeting the new paeds doctor today, showing her round and introducing her the the rest of the staff." he explained, putting his coat on.
"ah, okay. we'll i'll be in in a couple of hours so i can stop by and meet her then hopefully convince you to get some lunch with me?" she asked, wrapping her arms around his waist.
"i'm sure that can be arranged." he skilled leaning down to kiss her, "Okay, i really have to go now. i'll see you later, baby." he kissed her again, grabbed his bag and left.

"and this is the NICU. we've just ordered 4 more baby workers to go into the new NICU expansion." Hayes explained he and Dr Reynolds entered the room.
"wow, this is amazing." Dr Reynolds told him.
"we do what we can." her replied. after a quick look around the NICU again, they left the go back to the main nurses desk to finish off her paperwork.
"i.. erm.. i hope you don't take this offensively but why did you choose paediatrics? it's not a very masculine job." Dr Reynolds asked as she began to sing her paperwork.
"excuse me?" Hayes asked, shocked.
"i mean, paeds isn't very masculine and personally i wouldn't want a man working on my child. you don't really look at a male doctor and think 'warm and caring' but you do when you look at a female doctor." she explained still looking down at her paperwork.
"who the hell do you think you are?" an angry voice asked from behind them. when they turned around they saw Meredith stood with her arms crossed and a very pissed off look on her face.
"i'm sorry, who are you?" Reynolds asked.
"Meredith Grey, chief of general and Hayes' girlfriend. i'll ask you again.. who the hell are you?"  Meredith answered/asked, going to stand next to Hayes.
"Dr Maria Reynolds, the new paeds attending." She introduced herself.
"okay Dr Reynolds, why gives you the right to be prejudicial to Dr Hayes? all because he's male? i could guarantee that the majority of the hospital staff if not all of the staff would choose Dr Hayes over any other doctor to test their children and grandchildren. he wouldn't be the chief if he wasn't the best." Meredith ranted, anger twisted into her words.
"i-i'm sorry Dr Hayes, it won't happen again." Dr Reynolds stuttered then ran off with her paperwork to finish it on her own.
"i can't believe that just happened." Hayes stated, still in disbelief.
"well she certainly won't be saying anything like that again." Meredith told him turning to face him, her anger dissipating.
"thank you, baby, for defending  me. i appreciate it." he smiled, pulling her into his arms.
"i could stand there and let her at all of them when she had no idea of how good you are." she told him, leaning up to kiss him gently.
"still thank you. i believe lunch was mentioned this morning and i don't know about you but i am starving." Hayes smiled down at her, stealing another kiss.
"lunch sounds good, let's go."

————————————————————————————