protective

————————————————————————————

Cormac Hayes couldn't pinpoint the exact moment Meredith Grey became of the most important people in his life but he wasn't going to complain. he also discovered that he had become incredibly protective over her especially when someone is talking bad about her. it started as a normal, routine day until Hayes found Meredith crying in his office.

"hey, hey. what's the matter? what's happened?" Hayes asked worriedly, rushing over to her. she didn't answer him, just meant forward and hugged him tightly. they were sat in the couch in his office for 20 minutes hugging and him placing small kisses on her head until she calmed down enough to tell him what had happened.

"me and DeLuca got a case this morning. a young girl was brought in with major internal bleeding because she has been part of a hit and run so we rushed her up to the OR. we tried so hard, i tried so hard to save her but there was too much bleeding and damage and we lost her. when we were coming out of the OR DeLuca grabbed my arm and pulled me into an empty OR and proceeded to yell at me saying it was my fault she had died and that if he has the lead he would have been able to save her." she explained to him, more test falling asleep she relived it. when Meredith looked into his eyes she saw understanding and anger.

"i swear to God when i see him i'll kill him," he mumbled to himself then cupped her cheek, "listen to me, you are an amazing doctor and surgeon and if you couldn't save her no one could've. it was not your fault, you hear me, so please don't believe anything DeLuca said." he told her sternly yet lovingly, silently praying she'll believe him, and thankfully she gave him a small nod and a watery smile. "c'mon, let get changed and get some food, our shifts are over." Hayes stood up and held his hand out for her to take, which she did. as they turned the corner to go to the attending lounge they came face to face with Andrew DeLuca.

"oh great." DeLuca muttered, then noticed their joined hands, "so your sleeping with Hayes now?!" DeLica accused, anger forming on his face and in his tone of voice. seeing and hearing his anger, Cormac gently pushed Meredith behind him.

"you need to back off. that is no way to speak to your boss, have some respect." Hayes' anger from before came rushing back. 

"that's right Mer, get your boyfriend to fight your battles." Andrew sneered at her. just as Hayes was about to raise his fist Richard came out of the attending a lounge after hearing the argument.

"hey! calm down! Deluca go before i take you to Bailey, this is unacceptable behaviour and if it does happen again we will be going to Bailey." with that Andrew left without so much of a glance or an apology to any of them. with a nod to Meredith and Hayes, Richard left down the corridor.

"you didn't have to do that you know." Meredith said to Hayes quietly, looking down at her feet.

"hey," he started, using his thumb and finger to tilt her head up to catch her eyes, " i'm not gonna let anyone speak to you like that and i'm certainly not gonna let anyone get away with hurting you." he told her, his voice full of care and sincerity. Meredith didn't think a simple 'thank you' would suffice so instead she wrapped a hand around the back of his neck and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. " i appreciate that and you more than you know."