Chapter 8

A couple days pass with Alex spending time with Kara and Sam trying to encourage Lena to see her own self-worth. It hasn't even been a week, but all four women are exhausted. Fueled by caffeine and sugar, they all do their best to remain focused on their work. Alex sees that L.K. Luthor published a new article on polyatomic anions. For once, she doesn't forward it to her sister. Meanwhile, Sam is helping Lena dodge reporters and journalists trying to understand if she is working on a weapon of mass destruction with these polyatomic anions.

Wednesday's session with Kelly was focused on Lena explaining her side of things. For once in her life, she hides nothing. Lena reveals that she witnessed her biological mother drown and her adoption into the Luthor family. She talks about her traumatic childhood with Lex's cruel pranks and manipulations. Lena talks about how Lillian never loved her, how she tried everything she could to gain her approval and attention. She talks about the events in Metropolis, her family's involvement. She talks about founding L-Corp to try to make up for the damage and destruction her family caused. She goes into how she was never truly supported by Veronica and Andrea. She goes into detail about her first run in with Max and Morgan. When Kelly asks about positive supports, she talks about Sam and Ruby. Two hours fly by in the session, and she hasn't even gotten to talking about Kara. Kelly promises to continue on Friday, but ultimately forces Lena to take a break.

"How was therapy today?" Sam asks as she plops on Lena's couch in her office.

Lena sighs. "I spent the 2 hours telling her everything, but it wasn't enough time. I didn't even get to talk about Kara yet."

"Lena, celebrate the win. For once in your life, you talked to someone about everything. This isn't something that will get better overnight. It's going to take work and time."

"I know, I know. I'm looking forward to Friday's session. Kelly promised to start giving me tools to practice and use."

"I'm so proud of you, Lee. I'll catch you at the board meeting later." Sam heads back to her own office. She is more than a little surprised to find Alex waiting for her. "Alex, right? What brings you here? Lena is in her office."

"I actually came to see you."

"Oh? And what can I do for you?"

"Actually, I think it's more of what can we do together. My sister is a wreck. She's barely functioning. Each day that passes, she thinks Lena won't give her a chance to even talk. She's stuck. And I'm guessing Lena is too since you are still in National City. So, I was thinking we could arrange an 'accidental' meet up."
"I like it," Sam says simply with a wide grin. They stay and plan to get their respective hopeless loved ones to the park on Saturday morning. Alex wants it to happen sooner, but Sam knows that the best bet is the day after Lena has therapy. Maybe Kelly will work some magic that will encourage her to engage with Kara.

******************************

Lena paces in her apartment. She's equally nervous and excited for her session with Kelly. She barely slept and downs a full pot of coffee before her elevator announces the therapist's arrival.

"Good morning, Lena. How are you?"

"Hi, Kelly. Can I get you some coffee or something to drink?"

"I'll take a water, and don't think I didn't notice that you didn't answer my question. We will chat more once we get settled."

Lena spends a few more moments in the kitchen as Kelly sets up in her living room. By the time Lena brings a glass of water and another cup of coffee for herself. "I guess to answer your question, I'm not sure. I'm feeling a lot of different things, but I'm not sure what they are. Anxious for sure is one of them."