Chapter 29

Alex gets settled in Kara's apartment. She pulls out some emergency ice cream and changes into some sweats and a sports bra. She sits cross legged on the couch and eats the rocky road straight out of the tub. She doesn't turn on the TV or the radio; she just sits in silence. There hasn't been much time for her to process everything on her own. She looks at her forearms; everything has healed nicely. There are hardly any scars. She was mad at Kara at the time, but she was fortunate that her little sister rushed towards the chemicals that caused the explosion. Kara blocked most of the blow. The only reason Alex's arms were even injured was because she tried to pull her sister back.

Alex takes another giant spoonful of ice cream. She takes a deep breath and lets the guilt go. It takes several minutes to let it die down inside her. It's difficult for her to let her little sister save her instead of the other way around. However, it doesn't take long for a raging fire of anger filling the space that guilt previously held. It fills her to the brim as she thinks of Mike Matthews. That manchild had done a lot of serious damage to her sister, and she knows she doesn't know the full picture. There are things Kara will never tell her; she knows it. Alex wants nothing more than to throttle him. When she first found out about his abusive tendencies, she dreamt up ways to kill him and make it look like an accident. She was going to cook something up in the lab and slip it to him. That was her favorite fantasy. A little smile plays at the corners of her mouth thinking of the moment that Mike would no longer be an issue if she had actually intended to act on the fantasy. She lets the feelings wash over her as she shifts her attention to Kara.

Another spoonful of rocky road, and Alex feels horrible for her sister. She's gone through a lot in her life. Between the death of her parents, adoption to the Danvers, coming into her sexuality, Mike (repeatedly) abusing and manipulating her, and Lena leaving temporarily, Kara's been through the ringer. She's such an amazing sister, and Alex does try to make sure she is there for her as much as possible. However, she feels like she's failed. She initially failed as a sister when she first came into the Danvers' home. She failed to protect her from Mike. She failed to notice the signs initially, then when he kept coming back, she couldn't do anything about it. She has a mix of joy and shame that Lena was the one to stop him. She can't help but feel it should have been her to stop him.

Turning her thoughts to Lena, she lets out a sigh. She has such mixed feelings. Lena has been great to her sister - when she's been there. Alex is nervous that she will leave at the drop of a hat again. She thinks it makes her so nervous because of the power Lena wields. She has the power to absolutely destroy her little sister. Alex eats another scoop as she mulls over her concerns. Kara was so quick to let her in and give her such a big piece of her. While a small part of her thinks it's foolish for Kara to get in so deep so quickly, she's a little bit jealous of it. She just really hopes that Lena will do right by her. She hopes that her sister can finally get some peace.

Alex sits in silence for quite a while thinking through the recent events. Before she knows it, she manages to eat her way through the entire pint of rocky road. She is broken out of her stupor by her phone ringing. This time she takes the time to check the caller ID.

"Hey, Sammy," she says with a smile.

"Hey, sugarbabe."

"Ready to talk?"

"Uhhh.... yeah, about that..."

"Sam? What is it?" Alex asks concerned.

"Where are you right now?"

"I'm at my sister's place. Why?"

"I- I just landed in National City. I'm here."

Alex's eyes practically pop out of her skull. "What?"