Chapter 37

Sam swings her long leg over the bike to let Alex pop the kickstand and climb off. When Sam takes off the helmet, she shakes her hair loose. She smirks when she catches Alex staring at her.

"You going to take off yours?" Sam teases.

Alex awkwardly clears her throat and fumbles with the buckle. She starts leading them to the front of her building. Her hands shake in trepidation. She's lost in thought about what Sam might be expecting. She's trying to remember what states she left her place. God, she hopes that she didn't leave her vibrator out. Sam would have a field day. Alex's thoughts grind to a halt when she feels a soft hand slip into hers.

"Hey, babygirl. Nothing has to happen tonight. And I'm sure I'll love your place. No need to feel nervous."

Alex looks into those warm, honey eyes. She gives a tight smile. "I know. I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm so nervous. You've already said it can be my pace. I think it- it's just... I never bring anyone home..."

"Oh, honey," Sam says softly. She halts them both in the hallway. "You don't have to let me in. There is absolutely no pressure. Lee and I just agreed that we would give each other some space tonight. If you want, I'm sure we could just crash at Kara's again."

"No, no." Alex squeezes Sam's hand tighter. "I want you to see my home. Come on. It's just down here."

"Are you sure, Ally?"

Alex sends her a reassuring smile. "I'm sure. It's just nerves."

Sam smiles back and lets herself be led down to the end of the hall. She waits patiently for Alex to take a deep breath and steady her hands to unlock the door. Alex rushes in and clearly scans the area to make sure it's acceptable. Sam delays just a couple seconds to give her whatever time she needs to straighten up or put anything away. She steps in and her eyes light up. The place feels like Alex.

Alex takes the helmet out of Sam's hand and hangs it next to the door. She puts her keys in the basket and tosses her wallet on the table. She makes sure she locks the door before she watches her girlfriend take in her surroundings. She bites her lip as she moves over to the fridge.

"Can I grab you anything to drink?"

Sam moves to the wall to look at the photos on display. "What do you have?"
"Water. Beer. Umm... Well, that's about it..."

Sam smirks and side eyes her girlfriend. "Beer it is then."

Alex pops a couple caps off and takes a healthy swig before joining Sam. They clink their bottles and take a sip. Sam points to the photo of Kara and Alex when they were kids. "This is cute."

The older Danvers smiles softly at the photo. "Thanks. This was from the first family vacation mom and dad took us on when Kara was adopted. We didn't get along, and mom made us sit next to each other and smile."

Sam's brows furrow. "You chose to hang a photo of when you didn't even like your sister?"

"Yeah. Reminds me how far we've come. How lucky I am that Kara is in my life. I was so angry back then. It's a good reminder not to be that person again."

"You? Angry? I have a hard time imagining that, babygirl."

"Regardless of what secrets Kara spills, I am a badass. I always have been. That will never change."

"Awww. Cuuute," Sam teases.

Alex huffs and faux annoyance. She moves over to the couch and plops down. She watches Sam move about the space, taking everything in.

"This is great, Alex. It's very you."

Alex smiles genuinely. "Thank you."

Sam rounds the couch and sits right next to her girlfriend. She pulls her feet up under her as she rests her head against Alex's shoulder. She tilts her head to kiss just above the collar of Alex's shirt before resting her head again. "Thank you, babygirl. Thank you for letting me in here."