Chapter 21

When Alex returns, she finds them digging into Noonan's and enjoying Lena's fancy coffee. She catches up with Kelly, but she keeps a close eye on Kara and Lena. She also doesn't miss the fact that they are constantly touching. As Kelly and Alex clean up the mess in the living room, Lena helps Kara move out to the balcony to bask in the sunlight and enjoy the nice weather.

"So, what do you think of them?" Alex whispers.

Kelly leans to watch the two on the balcony. Kara is resting her head on Lena's shoulder with Lena's head resting against Kara's. "I can't divulge much with HIPAA, but I can say that as a friend from this morning, they have a high potential to be great together. Although, I need to talk to you about Kara. I think she is repressing everything that has been happening lately."

Alex's face turns serious quickly. "I'm really worried what will happen if Mike gets out of jail. You remember the last time he came around... she was so paranoid. She thought he would come after us. It took months for her to get back to her normal."

Kelly looks at Alex with compassion and understanding. "I know. I'm hoping Lena's lawyers can stop that from happening. She deserves so much better."
Meanwhile on the balcony, Kara lets out a sigh as she sinks further into her girlfriend. She gets lost in thought. She guesses that Lena never actually used the term girlfriend. Asking for the jacket was agreed to just be a signal that Lena is ready; not that it was Lena asking her out. What if Lena was just trying to say that they should date, not be girlfriends? What if she misread what Lena's gesture was? What if after hearing her explode in the morning, Lena wants nothing to do with her? She's snapped out of her spiral.

"What's going on in that beautiful head of yours, darling?"

Kara hides her face in Lena's neck. She subconsciously toys with the new necklace around her neck. How can she ask if this means that they are dating? She can feel Lena's throat vibrate when she speaks again.

"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want, Kar. But you can say anything with me. You can talk about anything. You know that, right?"

Kara whispers, "I know. Can we talk about it when it's just us?"

"Of course." Lena kisses the top of Kara's head before resting her cheek back on that golden hair.

Alex and Kelly poke their heads out on the balcony. Only Lena turns to look.

"We are going to go out to meet up with Nia, Winn, and James to give them an update. They are wanting to see Kara too. Would it be alright if game night is hosted here?"

Kara shoots up and glares at her sister before the CEO has a chance to respond. "Lena does not have to host game night, Alex. She's already doing more than enough by simply letting us stay here."

"It's alright, Kara. I promise. Yes, Alex, we can have game night here. Just let me know what night works for everyone, and I'll make sure to stock up."

"Lee, you don't need to do that," Kara says softly.

Kelly chimes in, "No need to stock up. We will handle that since you are providing the space. We will be back later. Kara, reach out if you need anything. Alright?"

"Yeah, I will. Thank you for this morning, Kelly."

"Anytime, Kar. If you decide you want to talk to someone more formally, I can reach out to some of my colleagues."

"I- I'm not sure." Kara buries herself into Lena's neck again. She grips and digs her fingers into Lena's back.

Kelly is quick to reassure her. "That's okay. You can reach out at any time. We will see you guys later."