I'm not a birdie... I'm Tenebrae

(biological age: about 9 years)

He thought it was a bird at first.

It looked like perhaps the largest bird he had ever seen. Well, he didn't completely see it, but he saw it's wings. Only when the boy saw running feet and long blonde hair did he question exactly what the creature was.

Cain ran through the trees and shrubs, following the creature which hopped and flapped from one tree to the next up above him. What was it?

Unknowingly he found himself further and further from his family and instead noticed he was somewhere completely unrecognisable. He spun on his heel, looking towards the trees once more. He couldn't see it anymore. The forrest looked so much darker, fuller and the eerie shuffle of creatures did not calm his nerves. To think all he wanted to do was follow a bird...

A giggle echoed from the trees above.

Cain's blue eyes narrowed in on a particular branch. The creature had been so careful, but the sight of feathers pin pointed where exactly it was.

"I can see you up there birdie!" He called up to it, bolting to the tree and beginning to try shake its trunk, hopeful to get the creature out. The brown haired boy let go, once more looking up at the winged creature, but this time the creature was looking back.

Jumping off the tree it fell to the ground and Cain dropped, falling on his back just as it, she, now stood above him.

"I'm not a birdie... I'm Tenebrae," the blonde girl introduced, leaning down and analysing the boy. He looked so familiar, he felt familiar...

Little did she know the boy felt the same, some part of him recognised those blue eyes, blonde hair and fluffy white wings. Her wings... Why did she have wings? Cain didn't have any, or at least none that he knew of...

"You are human," Tenebrae told him, analysing his features further, bending down and tilting her head to peer into his very soul perhaps.

"I'm Cain," the boy corrected, watching as she stood up straight abruptly with a frown. The girl side stepped, crouching next to the boy instead of hovering over him.

Her brows furrowed, "no your not, Cain is a baby,"

"I'm not a baby!" Cain defended himself, sitting straight up. Tenebrae stood straight, her wings spread wide, shuffling her feathers and straightening them out. The boy's eyes kept switching from the wings to the girl and back again.

"Cain is a baby!" Tenebrae told him, confusion lacing her face.

The flustered boy hopped up on his feet, pointing accusingly at the blonde girl, "you're a baby!"

She gasped, "No, I'm Tenebrae!"

"Well I'm Cain!" the boy defended himself once more, stomping closer to the blonde girl. The devil's daughter narrowed her eyes at him, what did the human think he was doing? Her father had always taught her how much weaker humans were so the fact that this one was so bold- it was interesting...

Tenebrae's large white wings spanned out abruptly, flapping largely with power. The boy lost his footing, once more falling on his behind, the look of fear in his eyes again. "Promise you're not lying?" Tenebrae wondered.

Cain looked deeply up at the blonde winged creature. This creature was wild, untameable and free. It was scary in a way. But something inside him said he could trust the beautiful creature. "Promise," he agreed.

"Pinky swear?" She offered, holding her tiniest finger out to him.

The boy frowned. "What's that?" he wondered aloud.