Chapter 4: Maybe it was the light

¤¤¤

Yves decided to go downtown where a bar & diner would probably give her a warm welcome. The neon lights illuminate the streets, making the night alive despite its deafening silence.

The bell chimes as she opened the glass door. She walked towards the bar counter where a pink haired girl stands, busy mixing liquor. Yves knocked on the wood, getting the other girl's attention.

"Long time no see. Welcome back to Edily's." The girl grinned.

"Vivi." Yves called, lifting the raw heart and putting it on the bar counter. "Make something tasty for me."

Vivi looked at the organ with disgust, but when she turned back her gaze to Yves, she tried to give an awkward smile. "I never cooked something that's not an animal..."

"Well, there's always a first time." Yves said, lifting the corpse she's holding on the other hand. "Have you ever said no to me, Vivi?" she asked, flashing her sparkly eyes, trying to convince the other girl.

"No..." She mumbles. "...maybe that one will be my first." she added, making Yves pout.

"Kidding. Alright I'll do it." she chuckled, bringing back the smile on Yves's face.

"That's my good girl." She coos, handing the organ and body over the table.

"What do you want me to do with the body?" Vivi asks.

"Oh, just make some snacks for my dogs. I only want the heart for dessert." Yves replied as she turned around to walk to her seat. From afar, she noticed the antlers attached at the top of each diner booth. She chuckled to herself, realizing how Vivi is a deer after all.

She finally settled down, sighing for the nth time. Seems like she's done a lot of travelling. It's very unlikely for a god to get tired, but for someone who just got back her powers, maybe it's normal to be this exhausted.

She leaned back to rest her head, closing her eyes. The strawberry scent coming from the kitchen lingers all around the place. It's so sweet. Yves always knew that every god in the garden has their fruit scent, and she could always smell her sisters back then. But this time, it's different. The smell was too strong, perhaps it's because it's being chopped, or cooked, or something. Nothing big deal.

"Strawberry shortcake." Vivi said as she walked towards the table, holding a tray on one hand, and a packed snack on the other. She served the cake paired with a bottle of wine, making Yves drool.

"I didn't want to put the blood to waste." She added as she sat across the table, opening the bottle of wine and pouring a glass and serving it to Yves. The tired god smiled sweetly, then turned her attention to the cake.

"Holy shit, 'vi." Yves gasped after taking the first bite. "How the fuck did you make this? So good!" She exclaimed, letting the sweet strawberry glaze melt in her mouth.

"I didn't do much. That's Chuu you're eating right now in case you forgot." Vivi reminds. "She's a god, it's no news if she taste that good." She reasoned, making Yves roll her eyes. She wanted to say something about how that little shit is the reason why she's all worn out, but she's too hungry to even think of it.

There's something about Chuu's blood. Yves doesn't know much, she asked Vivi if the wine she made has alcohol content, Vivi said it was only 10%. It's confusing. How come this 10% alcohol mixed with strawberry-like liquid can make her head spin around?

"Chuu's body is a mystery." Yves mumbles, downing another glass.

"Gods are complex beings." Vivi replies, sitting across the drunk god.