Chapter 12: There's something wrong with the mirror

¤¤¤

The sky is indeed dull when you look at it from the streets. 

There were thick and grey clouds all over, not letting the sun light pass through. Looks like it will rain soon. Air pollution from cars adds up to its dullness too. 

It reminds Yves of the place she used to live before being sent back here. She could almost see no difference between the two. Ah, she almost forgot. The human world is much louder compared to that smoky place, which makes it more irritating to her. 

She continued walking on the sidewalk, trying to keep her temper from humans bumping into her as they rush to god knows where. Yves hates being bumped. She hates even the slightest physical interaction with strangers. 

She rolled her eyes and walked into a random café to get some cool air from the aircon. The smell of the coffee being brewed and freshly baked bread lingers around the room. The place is cozy especially with the hanging plants at each corner, and the best part of it is the soft couch. There were few people chatting at each table, and some are already heading out. She goes to the counter right away to order something. She looks up at the menu, and anchored her eyebrows in confusion when the text seems to be weird. 

"Hi! Welcome to Flip That Café! What can I get you--"

The girl at the counter froze in her position as she met Yves's gaze. 

"I want a--"

"We're out of croissant and bagel--" The girl frantically replied as she looks away.

"Chill jeez..." Yves chuckled, although she's still confused with the girl's reaction. "I'll get an iced latte and a strawberry shortcake." 

"Uh... y-yeah... coming right up!" The girl salute out of nowhere then rushed to the brewer. Yves huffed and looked around. She only noticed now that there's a wall sized mirror across the counter. She wonders why the hell would they put that big ass mirror in a café.

She finally rests on the couch, leaning back against the cushion, still staring at the mirror from the corner of the room. Yves can see the menu board from there, and she just realized that the text were flipped, it could only be read through the mirror.

Some will probably say it's clever, but to her, it's absolutely stupid.

Yves's order soon arrives, carried by the same girl who seemed to calmed down now. 

Yves started drinking her coffee while the girl quietly retreats to the counter. The room was filled with silence since it's just the two of them in the café. No one knows since when, but it seems like everyone has left.  

Yves continues scanning the whole place, constantly stealing glances from the girl. Watching her from a distance makes it clear to see her cat-like eyes and healthy natural black hair. Something's shifted in her mood. She was clumsy and panicking earlier, yet, here she is now, comfortably sitting on a high stool while reading some book with an old looking cover.

"You're new here."  The girl spoke, still looking at the book she's reading, making Yves anchor her eyebrows.

Did she hear that right?

"I should be saying the same thing to you. I've been roaming around here for a year but I've never seen your face until now, not even this place." Yves answered nonchalantly, taking a bite of the cake she ordered. 

The last time she had that, it changed the trajectory of her life.

Yet here she is, casually eating like it never horrified her even once.