Chapter 13 - Kim Jiwoo, The First Love

ΔΔΔ

You knew winter has come to an end the moment you saw spring walk into your life. 

 It's already been eight years, but you still remember that day clearly. 

It was your homeroom teacher's birthday, and everyone was given a task by the class officers since they decided to prepare a surprise, which some of your classmates didn't really like, but they could only complain as they comply. You were neither enthusiastic nor against the idea, so it doesn't really bother you to run errands such as buying colored papers, cardboards, balloons, and other shit for decoration. 

Thirty minutes before the supposed time for surprise, you sneaked out of the campus and rushed on the empty afternoon street to look for that stupid flower shop nearby. One of your classmates was given a task to buy flowers, but forgot to pick it up on his way to school. Being the known errand kid in the room, he asked you to take over the job. 

You stumbled into the flower shop called 'Eden', mumbling curses to yourself as you try to catch your breath. The little bell jingling from its perch was so loud, and what makes it more embarrassing is the reaction of the girl sitting behind the counter. 

"Can I help you?"  

You almost spat another curse when you heard her voice. It was as soft as a petal, and there's warmth in her eyes that could melt you the longer you hold your gaze towards her.

"I--" You cleared your throat as you fix your uniform. "I'll pick up a bouquet ordered by my classmate." You said pausing as you took a deep breath. "He said he already called." 

"Oh, okay." The girl nodded and gently got down the stool to walk towards the shelf at the back. She came back holding the bouquet of what seemed to be white lilies. 

"It's already paid, I believe." You confirmed the girl, which she agreed. She gave you an apologetic smile while handing the bouquet to you. 

"I'm sorry for your loss." You gave her a questioned look, although she sounded really sincere. 

"It's our teacher's birthday though..." You mumbled. She blinked her eyes a few times, surprised of what you just said. 

"But the guy particularly ordered white lilies, I thought it's for a funeral..." She gasped. 

You looked back to the flowers in your hand and widened your eyes in disbelief. 

"Oh no." You whispered, hastily searching your phone in your pocket. You saw series of missed calls and texts asking where you are. And looking at the time made you even more anxious. 

"Fuck." You breathed out. 

"I-- I can get you another one if you like." The girl offered, smiling despite the concern in her eyes.  

"Y-yes please." You helplessly sighed. The girl walked back to the shelf in silence, and not long after, she came back with small purple and yellow flowers that are prettily arranged. 

"These are crocus flowers." She said, placing the bouquet on the counter. She cuts some ribbon and tied it around together with a 'Happy Birthday' card. "They bloom early in spring. The purple ones symbolizes pride and dignity, while yellow Crocuses represent cheerfulness, pleasure, gladness and joy." 

You couldn't even pay attention to what she was saying because your eyes were only fixated on her. You're not sure if her hair is actually brown or it was just the golden afternoon sun, but her bangs fit her face very well it adds up to her soft features. She wears lilac long sleeves topped with her ivory colored apron. You knew she was talking more but your mind couldn't catch up anymore, it's already clouded by her soothing voice.