I'll Take Care of Her

For all of you who came from my character imagines book to this one. I love you.

Tw: grief, loss

“Hey Al, can we go see grandma today?”  You asked sheepishly as you entered his office.  

“Hello darling, come sit down.”  He pointed at the seat in front of him.  

“I know you're busy focusing on your upcoming Broadway show, but grandmas getting worse and I wanted to know if we could go see her today. Together.”  

“Darling, when have I ever put work before family?  Of course we can go see her, I’d love nothing more. Let me get changed and we can head right over okay?”  He walked around the side of his desk kissing your temple before walking up to your room to get changed. You left his office and grabbed your coat waiting for him to come downstairs.  He came downstairs dressed and ready to go a few minutes later and you were on your way to your grandmother's nursing home.  You made it a point to visit every couple of days but lately she hasn’t been doing well. After getting pneumonia she had just gotten worse.  It seemed like every time she took one step forward she took 3 steps back.  You tried to stay as positive as possible but it was becoming more difficult when even the nurses at the home were telling you that she didn’t have much time left.  

“I’m worried about her. The nurses keep saying that she doesn’t have much time left.  I don’t think I’m ready for that Alan.”  You leaned against the seat of the car, your body facing him instead of facing forward.  He moved one of his hands from the steering wheel to rest on your thigh.  

“I know you're worried.  She’es getting to that age, sweetheart. People don’t live forever, it's our mortality that makes us human.  I know you love her, I care for her too but she can’t live forever. At some point you have to let her go, let her rest.  The important thing is that you remember that she loves you more than anything.”  Alan gave you his words of wisdom as he pulled into the nursing home parking lot.

“But, I don’t know how to let her go.”  You sniffled.

“Oh my darling, I know it’s hard.  I’m not saying that we have to face that right now, there’s still time for her to pull through this.  Have faith, that’s all we can do now.”  He leaned over the seat and kissed you.  You got out of the car and walked to his side of the car, once he got out of the car you wrapped your arms around his neck and laid your head on his chest.

“I’m not ready to lose her, I don’t wanna say goodbye.”  You mumbled against him.  You felt him place his hand on the back of your head and his other hand went to your waist holding you.  

“We don’t have to yet, there’s still a chance she could get better.”  He pulled away from your grasp and cupped both your cheeks.  “I love you, I’ll be here for you and with you no matter what.”  

“I love you too…. I think I’m ready.”   

“Okay.”  He nodded, placing a kiss on your forehead.  You walked hand in hand into your grandmother's room.  She looked pale, sick, and weak. You wanted to start crying right there but Alan's firm grasp on your hand forced you to stay strong.

“Hi pumpkin.”  Your grandmother called to you.  “Alan how have you been?”

“I’m well Mrs Y/L/N, how are you feeling?”  

“I’ve been better.”  She confessed.  You sat on the edge of her bed.  Alan sat in the chair next to the bed which he had pulled next to where you were sitting.  You, Alan and your grandmother spent a very long time sitting and just talking.  Later in the night you turned on the T.v and put on the cooking channel.  You and your grandmother used to watch the cooking channel all the time at her house.  You’d watch the chefs cook then you and her would try to recreate the things you saw on T.v.  Or you’d switch up the recipes and make your spin on what you’d seen.