thirteen: we're going to hell

"There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin"
» Take me to church, Hozier

✞︎

It was 7 PM and the last mass had already taken place. The doors of the only church in town were closed and the priest who seemed to have guard and sleep there that night had disappeared inside the church a few minutes ago already. Rory and Harry watched from a distance hiding behind a large pine tree as all the lights in the religious institution were off.

"Will he be asleep by now?" Harry asked impatiently. Rory pursed her lips and shrugged blankly.

"I don't know, he might be or he might be in some office. But whatever it is we have to get in now, I promised to watch documental with my dad."

Rory was about to start walking but Harry stopped her by grabbing her forearm.

"Wait, can you do that invisibility spell to go unnoticed? Just in case. I have to admit I'm kinda excited by the idea of stealing from the church but we don't have time to get caught."

Rory laughed but nodded "We won't get caught, have a little faith in us, but okay, yes, I have to take advantage of my powers. Give me your hands."

Harry held out his hands to her and she took them firmly, closing her eyes and asking him to do the same. In a whisper she repeated the invisibility spell three times and when she felt a current run through her body and spread towards Harry, they both opened their eyes and Rory released her grip on his hands.

"Done?"

"Yeah, only I can see you. Come on, let's go inside now."

"I really hope we can find what we're looking for." Harry signed walking alongside Rory, the soles of their shoes echoing on the asphalt as they crossed the empty street.

"Me too, Harry."

The waning quarter moon shone in the dark and starry sky, owls hooted high in the green, orange and yellow trees, dry leaves made mountains in the grass, crickets and other insects sang in the woods, some houses were already decorated of Halloween. Lacock was a beautiful historic village with medieval cottages, a small, cozy and quiet place, but Rory couldn't wait to get out of that village and see the world. She knew Harry wanted the same thing, to graduate and move to London.

Rory felt like she was being watched, but there was no one around her except Harry. No one she could see. She had been living with paranoia lately, there wasn't a moment she didn't feel watched when she was alone, but having Harry by her side and her magic powers made her feel safer.

When Rory stopped in front of the main wooden door of the church, Harry frowned.

"Aren't we going in from the back door?" he inquired confused.

When Rory denied raising her right hand in the air pointing it at the chains on the door, he opened his mouth to tell her that probably they would make noise and it was better to enter through the back door but Rory was already using her magic to break the lock, a small flame of fire coming from her palm burned the chains and the padlock on the door. The metal and iron shattered and fell to the floor, then the door finally swung open. She turned her head to look at Harry with an excited and proud grin.

"That was hot." He raised both eyebrows and subtly bit his bottom lip.

"Thanks, I'm improving my skills."

The church inside was totally dark, only the light from the moonlight and a few street lamps was filtering through the colorful mosaic windows. The church was two stories but not an overly large place. Rory heard Harry behind her back softly closing the door and then saw him out of the corner of her eye position himself next to her.